A Little Help Please.

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 1, 2001
      Well, here I am again asking for help.  Most of the time I am just asking for help on a specific question I have received and you folks have been just great about helping.  Many times when I answer a question I never hear from the individual, however, some are regular visitors to my site and are "email" buddies of mine and have corresponded with me on several occasions over the years. This is one such individual.  Here is the email I received.

      Hi Dick.

      Hope this finds you and your family well and happy.

      I'm currently preparing a 1-1/2 hour presentation on the Battle of Perryville, KY (also known as Chaplin Hills) to my  CWRT on April 20, 2001.   My reasons for taking it on are (1) it's never been done before by our group,  (2) in my humble opinion, this pivotal battle in the Western Theater has  never received the attention it deserves, (3) my great-great-grandfather was  commander of Company D, 21st Michigan Infantry at the battle, and (4) simply  because a number of folks in my CWRT asked me to do it.

      In doing some research for my Perryville presentation, I've found only one book so far that focuses solely on the subject:  "Perryville:  Battle for Kentucky" by Kenneth A. Hafendorfer, McDowell Publications, Owensboro, KY,
      1981.  I've ordered but not yet received "Shiloh to Perryville" by McDonough.   Finally, I've explored all I could find on Perryville via Copernic, the  multi-search engine on the internet.

      Do you have any suggestions for a hopefully "polished" and interesting 1-1/2  hour presentation on Perryville?     Previously, I've focused on the Eastern Theater, specifically Gettysburg, so I tend to be rather ignorant concerning the Western Theater and Perryville.  Although I have the equipment to make transparencies, I'm not comfortable using an overhead projector.  Currently, I'm looking at brief profiles of the principal commanders, Buell and Bragg, how the battle came to be fought when and where it occurred, and the casualties and outcome of the battle.  I've tended to avoid boring hour-by-hour tactical discussions, and emphasized the human aspects in most
      of my previous presentations.  I'm looking at a few, easily understood hand-outs and a couple of large maps on traditional butcher paper.

      At your convenience, I would be very grateful for any thoughts you may have.

      Since, as all of you know, the Western Theater is certainly not my strong suit, I would be doing a great wrong if I tried to help him on my own.  Therefore I would ask for any and all suggestions.  I'm looking forward to hearing from you.  By the way, the individual is from Colorado.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
    • David Woodbury
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2001
        Dick,

        Regarding the search for information on Perryville, I would suggest
        that he call up the Perryville Battlefield Visitor Center -- (859)
        332-8631 -- and get ahold of a copy of the Perryville issue of "Blue
        & Gray" (or order it through the B&G website). That will give him a
        very good summary. Additionally, I believe there is a brand new book
        out by Kent Masterson Brown with a collection of essays on Perryville.

        There's a pretty good web site at
        http://www.danville-ky.com/BoyleCounty/perryenh.htm which includes a
        walking tour map.

        David
      • glblank@ticon.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 20, 2001
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., David Woodbury <woodbury@s...> wrote:
          > Dick,
          >
          > Regarding the search for information on Perryville, I would suggest
          > that he call up the Perryville Battlefield Visitor Center -- (859)
          > 332-8631 -- and get ahold of a copy of the Perryville issue of "Blue
          > & Gray" (or order it through the B&G website). That will give him a
          > very good summary. Additionally, I believe there is a brand new book
          > out by Kent Masterson Brown with a collection of essays on
          Perryville.

          Geez, do I need my glasses fixed. I completely missed this post.
          May I suggest the book, "Perryville, Battle for Kentucky" by Kenneth
          Hafendorfer, avaliable at Amazon. I also will be looking forward to
          the KMB colletion of essays.

          Geoff