Photo of Snake Creek Gap

  • profgrimsley
    Message 1 of 54 , Aug 24 5:46 PM
      Can anyone refer me to a photograph of Snake Creek Gap on the web, or
      does anyone happen to have one they could send as an email attachment?
      I've never seen the gap myself, and the extensive photo collection in
      "The Atlanta Campaign: A Virtual Tour"
      <http://www.civilwaralbum.com/atlanta/> does not seem to include one.
      (Indeed, I ran across a request in Civil War Album.com for such a
      photo.)

      Thanks!

      Mark
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 54 of 54 , Jan 23, 2006
        In a message dated 1/23/2006 2:12:49 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
        > If this is a verbatim quote, then McPherson's command of the English
        > language was faulty.

        IOW, mistake = "lie" and typo = "faulty command of language."

        Not a mistake nor a lie.  Once again, judgement is made by today's standards.   In reading letter after letter, documentation after documentation, the manner of which the English language was spoken or written during that period of time, is much different from today.  You can hear much of how they spoke those days today in deep Applachia where their speech is very similiar to that of the original English immigrants to this country.

        As for the command of language Tony, how come individuals down South say y'all rather than all of you, or also use that terminolgy in the singular form.

        Just funnin,

        Land de Goshen, this is JEJ signing off.