Re: [civilwarwest] Forrest at Shiloh

  • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 21, 2005
      Dr. Schiller,
      I must certainly agree with your assessment of Forrest [ to not compromise his men in an assault] . Of course in Ky under a superior,   he saw the waste. I would be curious as to your opinion on NBF's night time movement on the day we are discussing. [ Scouts to the river with overcoats...visits to Chalmers and Hardee]   Would a night time assault that NBF advised (before Buel could mass) have  been practical or even possible and even to speculate to a pre=dawn attack of the ridge

      At 4:04 PM +0000 8/21/05, civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >Dave, impressed with your scenario and felt envious of you and JFE
      >at the Landing.
      >     I throw this in because of my obsession with Forrest. Just a
      >Colonel at the time and rep just at Donelson, but his report of
      >Grants Army in shamlbes at the bluff and with his leadership if he
      >had contrl of a Division . I  use this scenario because of your
      >statement that the assault would fail no matter who leads it. Of
      >course you were referring to the Generals at hand I assume or do you
      >think Forrest could not have achieved success. [so hypo]
      >--
      >Respectfully,
      >John Hooper

      John - I have stood at the final line at the landing, looked at the
      batteries, and considered the depth of the terrain of the gulch the
      Confederates would have had to climb. Forrest would not have any
      magic to produce success. Besides - if you follow NBF, you know that
      he was too smart to make a frontal assault with no other advantage to
      help him. Grant's line was not going to be broken by a Confederate
      army already fought out or by fresh troops.

      IMHO,

      Laurie Schiller
      --
      Dr. Laurence Dana Schiller