Civil War West: Richmond Ky disharge

  • hooperjwboro@comcast.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 10, 2005
      Help
        Have located Great, gr,gr certification Honorable discharge from Confederate Army being wounded at Richmond Ky. One page under glass framed fro Great Grandmothers' estate.  Reads  Company A, 2nd Regiment, Polk's Brigade, Cleburne's Division, Hardees Corps.  Signed Reese H. Henderson, 1st Lt. Commanding Co. A,. I do know Cleburne was the lead Confederate Division at the Battle of Richmond.
            2 questions.
                               1.   Was the chain of command as listed with Polk under Cleburne or not Leonidas?
                               2. The paper used is yellow lined legal with red diagonal at left margin. Is this letter dated during war or when was this paper introduced?
                              Thanks for help.
    • banbruner@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 10, 2005
        In a message dated 8/10/2005 11:19:42 AM Eastern Daylight Time, hooperjwboro@... writes:
        Reads  Company A, 2nd Regiment, Polk's Brigade, Cleburne's Division, Hardees Corps.  Signed Reese H. Henderson, 1st Lt. Commanding Co. A,. I do know Cleburne
        I'm  sure this must be referring to Lucious Polk, Leonidas' nephew I think..
        WHB
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 10, 2005
          In a message dated 8/10/2005 11:19:45 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, hooperjwboro@... writes:
          Have located Great, gr,gr certification Honorable discharge from Confederate Army being wounded at Richmond Ky. One page under glass framed fro Great Grandmothers' estate.  Reads  Company A, 2nd Regiment, Polk's Brigade, Cleburne's Division, Hardees Corps.  Signed Reese H. Henderson, 1st Lt. Commanding Co. A,. I do know Cleburne was the lead Confederate Division at the Battle of Richmond.
                2 questions.
                                   1.   Was the chain of command as listed with Polk under Cleburne or not Leonidas?
                                   2. The paper used is yellow lined legal with red diagonal at left margin. Is this letter dated during war or when was this paper introduced?
                                  Thanks for help.
          The Polk leading the brigade was not Leonidas, but his nephew and close friend of Cleburne, Lucius Polk.  Technically, Cleburne's Division was in Hardee's Corps, but during the battle of Richmond, was TDY under Morgan.  The Confederate battle plan was planned by Cleburne.  If your ggggrandfather was wounded at that battle, it is most likely he was treated at the Mt Zion church  which served as a field hospital.  Hope this helps

          JEJ