Note to David Wall ...

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 7, 2005
      I'm afraid that the Union artillery at Raymond was not on "artillery
      ridge." According to Granbury, his 7th TX regiment was hiding in a
      stretch of woods waiting for McPherson to stumble across the bridge in
      piecemeal fashion, the Confederate artillery out of view 100 yards to
      the rear. When Gregg realized that the federals were not falling for
      the trap, he ordered Granbury to move by the flank onto the hill with
      the 3rd TN. As Granbury began organizing to move, he came under fire
      from the federal artillery 600 yards away, which would put the federal
      artillery directly in the middle of the field. You may not have
      realized it, but the field is at a gentle slope, and the elevation of
      the artillery would have been about 20 feet above the heads of the
      union troops. I think this explains to a great extent the inactivity
      of the union left flank... after the initial volley, with the dust and
      smoke hanging low to the ground, the union artillery was blindly
      flinging lead into the field to the front, having seen troops
      organizing there earlier. In reality, Granbury's troops had long since
      moved into the hills.