Re: books on the Atlanta Campaign

  • Theodore P. Savas
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
      Hi Bob

      Sure, I remember you very well. Always appreciated your support of
      our book projects. It was sad that Perseus Books Group did not pick
      up "Civil War Rregiments," as I thought it was a really good
      periodical. They did not pick up "Journal of the Indian Wars,"
      either. Ah, well.

      Hope you are well.

      Kind regards,

      ted
      www.savasbeatie.com

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
      wrote:
      > Hi Ted,
      >
      > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
      your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
      Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

      > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
      recommend them to poster here.

      > Bob Taubman
      > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
      > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
      > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
      > to none.
      >
      > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
      the
      > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
      > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
      > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
      > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
      > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
      flight
      > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
      printed
      > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
      > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
      >
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
      > >
      > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
      > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
      > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
      those
      > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
      > outcome of the campaign."
      > >
      > > Bob Taubman
      > >

      > > Bob Taubman wrote:
      > >
      > > SDE80@a... wrote:
      > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
      is
      > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
      > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
      > Will Fall.
      > >
      > > Sam Elliott

      > Service.
      > >

      > > ---------------------------------
      >

      > Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Bill Gower
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
        Thanks Ted for recommending your book. I found it on AbeBooks for $30 and
        supposedly it is in very good shape.

        wrote:
        > Hi Ted,
        >
        > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
        your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
        Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

        > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
        recommend them to poster here.

        > Bob Taubman
        > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
        > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
        > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
        > to none.
        >
        > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
        the
        > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
        > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
        > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
        > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
        > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
        flight
        > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
        printed
        > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
        > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
        >
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
        > >
        > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
        > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
        > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
        those
        > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
        > outcome of the campaign."
        > >
        > > Bob Taubman
        > >

        > > Bob Taubman wrote:
        > >
        > > SDE80@a... wrote:
        > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
        is
        > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
        > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
        > Will Fall.
        > >
        > > Sam Elliott

        > Service.
        > >

        > > ---------------------------------
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Rick Moody
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
          --- "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@...> wrote:

          > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a
          > penny on it any
          > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the
          > topis is second
          > to none.
          >
          > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta
          > &Sherman's March to the
          > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the
          > HARDCOVER
          > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the
          > color maps in
          > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like
          > the Atlanta
          > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because
          > the editors
          > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers
          > are top flight
          > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel,
          > etc.) We printed
          > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy
          > if you can and
          > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

          With interest in the western theater at an all time
          high, print out a few thousand more and I will be on
          the list for the next batch. Its sure to sell!

          Rick Moody
          r_moody@...

          When you arise in the morning,
          give thanks for the morning light,