Re: [civilwarwest] books on the Atlanta Campaign

  • Michael McKinnon
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
      That would be a welcome addition.

      Michael

      DORR64OVI@... wrote:
      In a message dated 8/2/2005 9:27:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigg@... writes:
         "Echoes of Battle, The Atlanta Campaign," Edited by
      Larry Strayer and Richard Baumgartner.
      Notable for the use of letters, diaries, and reminiscences
      of both Union and Confederate participants.
      There is also a separate volume of Echos of Battle, Kennesaw Mt by Richard Baumgartner with the same emphasis.   One of the last times I chatted with Rick, he indicated that he would like at some point in the future to have Echos volumes on many of the separate Atlanta engagements.

      Kent Dorr

    • oneplez
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
        wrote:
        > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other books
        on the
        > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

        Gen. Jacob Cox, a participant in the Campaign, Wrote "Shermans'
        Campaign for Atlanta." Dry.

        William R. Scaife wrote "The Campaign for Atlanta." The maps are
        supurb, but he needs more analysis.

        Don
      • hank9174
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
          > wrote:
          > > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other
          books
          > on the
          > > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?
          >
          > Gen. Jacob Cox, a participant in the Campaign, Wrote "Shermans'
          > Campaign for Atlanta." Dry.
          >
          > William R. Scaife wrote "The Campaign for Atlanta." The maps are
          > supurb, but he needs more analysis.

          'Marching through Georgia', by Lee Kennett, is a good soldier's - eye
          view of the campaign.

          It's not so much about strategy but the everyday life in the campaign
          of mud and hunger and dust and blood.

          Not quite Ernie Pyle but pretty close...

          HankC
        • SDE80@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
            Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta Will Fall.

            Sam Elliott
          • Bob Taubman
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005

                I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;

                "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the outcome of the campaign."

                Bob Taubman

                Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

                SDE80@... wrote:

                Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta Will Fall.

                Sam Elliott

              • Theodore P. Savas
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                  This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                  longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                  to none.

                  So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to the
                  Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                  edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                  the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                  Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                  were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top flight
                  (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We printed
                  1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                  add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
                  wrote:

                  > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                  >
                  > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                  strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                  mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those
                  advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                  outcome of the campaign."

                  > Bob Taubman
                  >

                  > Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                  >
                  > SDE80@a... wrote:
                  > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is
                  a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                  editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                  Will Fall.

                  > Sam Elliott

                  Service.

                  > ---------------------------------
                • aot1952
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Mr.Savas-
                    I agree, I fortunately got a copy of this publication when it came
                    out and it is excellent. Also a good source is the University of
                    Michigan which sells copies of Doctoral Dissertations. There are two
                    good one's on the North Georgia and Atlanta campaigns. One is
                    McMurray's on the battles around Atlanta, it argues that Hood was
                    not the inept boob many argue. The cost several years ago was 50
                    bucks.
                    They also have a 40 year old dissertation by Cunningham on Shiloh.
                    It is also excellent IMHO.
                    Regards-
                    Wakefield

                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Theodore P. Savas"
                    <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                    > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                    > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                    > to none.
                    >
                    > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                    the
                    > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                    > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                    > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                    > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                    > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                    flight
                    > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                    printed
                    > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                    > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                    >
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                    > >
                    > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                    > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                    > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                    those
                    > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                    > outcome of the campaign."
                    > >
                    > > Bob Taubman
                    > >

                    > > Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                    > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                    is
                    > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                    > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                    > Will Fall.
                    > >
                    > > Sam Elliott

                    > Service.
                    > >

                    > > ---------------------------------
                  • Bob Taubman
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                      Hi Ted,

                      We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when your regimental series was a few years old.  We met at the Gettysburg book fair as well.  I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                      I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would recommend them to poster here.

                      Bob Taubman

                      wrote:

                      > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                      >
                      > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                      strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                      mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those
                      advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                      outcome of the campaign."

                      > Bob Taubman
                      >

                      > Bob Taubman wrote:
                      >
                      > SDE80@a... wrote:
                      > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is
                      a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                      editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                      Will Fall.

                      > Sam Elliott

                      Service.

                      > ---------------------------------

                      What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good.

                      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                    • SDE80@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                        In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:44:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ted_savas@... writes:

                        So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to the
                        Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                        edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                        the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                        Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                        were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top flight
                        (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We printed
                        1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                        add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                        I agree this is a good book.  I have a softcover of half the book.

                        Sam Elliott
                      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                          In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:55:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aot1952@... writes:
                          The cost several years ago was 50
                          bucks.
                          The value has held.  On the net, the two volumes are listed for $45

                          JEJ
                        • Theodore P. Savas
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                            Hi Bob

                            Sure, I remember you very well. Always appreciated your support of
                            our book projects. It was sad that Perseus Books Group did not pick
                            up "Civil War Rregiments," as I thought it was a really good
                            periodical. They did not pick up "Journal of the Indian Wars,"
                            either. Ah, well.

                            Hope you are well.

                            Kind regards,

                            ted
                            www.savasbeatie.com

                            wrote:
                            > Hi Ted,
                            >
                            > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
                            your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
                            Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                            > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
                            recommend them to poster here.

                            > Bob Taubman
                            > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                            > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                            > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                            > to none.
                            >
                            > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                            the
                            > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                            > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                            > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                            > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                            > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                            flight
                            > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                            printed
                            > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                            > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                            >
                            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
                            > wrote:
                            > >
                            > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                            > >
                            > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                            > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                            > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                            those
                            > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                            > outcome of the campaign."
                            > >
                            > > Bob Taubman
                            > >

                            > > Bob Taubman wrote:
                            > >
                            > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                            > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                            is
                            > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                            > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                            > Will Fall.
                            > >
                            > > Sam Elliott

                            > Service.
                            > >

                            > > ---------------------------------
                            >

                            > Yahoo! Groups Links
                          • Bill Gower
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                              Thanks Ted for recommending your book. I found it on AbeBooks for $30 and
                              supposedly it is in very good shape.

                              wrote:
                              > Hi Ted,
                              >
                              > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
                              your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
                              Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                              > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
                              recommend them to poster here.

                              > Bob Taubman
                              > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                              > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                              > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                              > to none.
                              >
                              > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                              the
                              > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                              > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                              > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                              > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                              > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                              flight
                              > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                              printed
                              > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                              > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                              >
                              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                              > >
                              > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                              > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                              > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                              those
                              > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                              > outcome of the campaign."
                              > >
                              > > Bob Taubman
                              > >

                              > > Bob Taubman wrote:
                              > >
                              > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                              > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                              is
                              > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                              > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                              > Will Fall.
                              > >
                              > > Sam Elliott

                              > Service.
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                              >

                              > Yahoo! Groups Links

                              Yahoo! Groups Links
                            • Rick Moody
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                                --- "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@...> wrote:

                                > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a
                                > penny on it any
                                > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the
                                > topis is second
                                > to none.
                                >
                                > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta
                                > &Sherman's March to the
                                > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the
                                > HARDCOVER
                                > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the
                                > color maps in
                                > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like
                                > the Atlanta
                                > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because
                                > the editors
                                > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers
                                > are top flight
                                > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel,
                                > etc.) We printed
                                > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy
                                > if you can and
                                > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                                With interest in the western theater at an all time
                                high, print out a few thousand more and I will be on
                                the list for the next batch. Its sure to sell!

                                Rick Moody
                                r_moody@...

                                When you arise in the morning,
                                give thanks for the morning light,