Re: [civilwarwest] books on the Atlanta Campaign

  • DORR64OVI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
      In a message dated 8/2/2005 9:27:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigg@... writes:
         "Echoes of Battle, The Atlanta Campaign," Edited by
      Larry Strayer and Richard Baumgartner.
      Notable for the use of letters, diaries, and reminiscences
      of both Union and Confederate participants.
      There is also a separate volume of Echos of Battle, Kennesaw Mt by Richard Baumgartner with the same emphasis.   One of the last times I chatted with Rick, he indicated that he would like at some point in the future to have Echos volumes on many of the separate Atlanta engagements.

      Kent Dorr
    • Rick Moody
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
        --- Bill Gower <billgower@...> wrote:

        > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there
        > any other books on the
        > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

        As long as you understand that he was a Sherman
        subordinate, I like all of General Cox's books on the
        western campaign. It gives you an insiders
        perspective. Don't expect much criticism, though he
        offers mild criticism of the attack at Kennesaw
        Mountain and General Hooker's performance. Its a good
        quick overview of the campaign. Look elsewhere for an
        in-depth and neutral study.

        Rick Moody
        r_moody@...

        When you arise in the morning,
        give thanks for the morning light,
        for your life and strength.
        Give thanks for your food,
        and the joy of living.

        If you see no reason for giving thanks,
        the fault lies with yourself.

        Tecumseh, Shawnee (The Southern People)

        http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
      • josepharose
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
          For a digital copy of Cox's "Military Reminiscences of the Civil War,
          volumes 1 and 2, you can download it here:
          http://www.thalasson.com/gtn/gtnletC.htm#coxjacob

          Joseph

          > As long as you understand that he was a Sherman
          > subordinate, I like all of General Cox's books on the
          > western campaign. It gives you an insiders
          > perspective. Don't expect much criticism, though he
          > offers mild criticism of the attack at Kennesaw
          > Mountain and General Hooker's performance. Its a good
          > quick overview of the campaign. Look elsewhere for an
          > in-depth and neutral study.
          >

          > Rick Moody
          > r_moody@y...
          >

          > When you arise in the morning,
          > give thanks for the morning light,
          > for your life and strength.
          > Give thanks for your food,
          > and the joy of living.
          >
          > If you see no reason for giving thanks,
          > the fault lies with yourself.
          >
          > Tecumseh, Shawnee (The Southern People)

          > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
        • Michael McKinnon

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
              wrote:
              > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other books
              on the
              > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

              Gen. Jacob Cox, a participant in the Campaign, Wrote "Shermans'
              Campaign for Atlanta." Dry.

              William R. Scaife wrote "The Campaign for Atlanta." The maps are
              supurb, but he needs more analysis.

              Don
            • hank9174
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
                > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
                > wrote:
                > > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other
                books
                > on the
                > > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?
                >
                > Gen. Jacob Cox, a participant in the Campaign, Wrote "Shermans'
                > Campaign for Atlanta." Dry.
                >
                > William R. Scaife wrote "The Campaign for Atlanta." The maps are
                > supurb, but he needs more analysis.

                'Marching through Georgia', by Lee Kennett, is a good soldier's - eye
                view of the campaign.

                It's not so much about strategy but the everyday life in the campaign
                of mud and hunger and dust and blood.

                Not quite Ernie Pyle but pretty close...

                HankC
              • SDE80@aol.com
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                  Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta Will Fall.

                  Sam Elliott
                • Bob Taubman
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005

                      I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;

                      "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the outcome of the campaign."

                      Bob Taubman

                      Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

                      SDE80@... wrote:

                      Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta Will Fall.

                      Sam Elliott

                    • Theodore P. Savas
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                        This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                        longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                        to none.

                        So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to the
                        Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                        edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                        the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                        Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                        were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top flight
                        (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We printed
                        1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                        add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
                        wrote:

                        > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                        >
                        > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                        strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                        mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those
                        advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                        outcome of the campaign."

                        > Bob Taubman
                        >

                        > Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                        >
                        > SDE80@a... wrote:
                        > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is
                        a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                        editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                        Will Fall.

                        > Sam Elliott

                        Service.

                        > ---------------------------------
                      • aot1952
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                          Mr.Savas-
                          I agree, I fortunately got a copy of this publication when it came
                          out and it is excellent. Also a good source is the University of
                          Michigan which sells copies of Doctoral Dissertations. There are two
                          good one's on the North Georgia and Atlanta campaigns. One is
                          McMurray's on the battles around Atlanta, it argues that Hood was
                          not the inept boob many argue. The cost several years ago was 50
                          bucks.
                          They also have a 40 year old dissertation by Cunningham on Shiloh.
                          It is also excellent IMHO.
                          Regards-
                          Wakefield

                          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Theodore P. Savas"
                          <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                          > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                          > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                          > to none.
                          >
                          > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                          the
                          > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                          > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                          > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                          > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                          > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                          flight
                          > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                          printed
                          > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                          > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                          >
                          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
                          > wrote:
                          > >
                          > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                          > >
                          > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                          > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                          > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                          those
                          > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                          > outcome of the campaign."
                          > >
                          > > Bob Taubman
                          > >

                          > > Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                          > >
                          > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                          > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                          is
                          > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                          > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                          > Will Fall.
                          > >
                          > > Sam Elliott

                          > Service.
                          > >

                          > > ---------------------------------
                        • Bob Taubman
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                            Hi Ted,

                            We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when your regimental series was a few years old.  We met at the Gettysburg book fair as well.  I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                            I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would recommend them to poster here.

                            Bob Taubman

                            wrote:

                            > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                            >
                            > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                            strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                            mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those
                            advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                            outcome of the campaign."

                            > Bob Taubman
                            >

                            > Bob Taubman wrote:
                            >
                            > SDE80@a... wrote:
                            > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is
                            a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                            editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                            Will Fall.

                            > Sam Elliott

                            Service.

                            > ---------------------------------

                            What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good.

                            http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                          • SDE80@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                              In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:44:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ted_savas@... writes:

                              So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to the
                              Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                              edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                              the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                              Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                              were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top flight
                              (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We printed
                              1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                              add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                              I agree this is a good book.  I have a softcover of half the book.

                              Sam Elliott
                            • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:55:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aot1952@... writes:
                                The cost several years ago was 50
                                bucks.
                                The value has held.  On the net, the two volumes are listed for $45

                                JEJ
                              • Theodore P. Savas
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                  Hi Bob

                                  Sure, I remember you very well. Always appreciated your support of
                                  our book projects. It was sad that Perseus Books Group did not pick
                                  up "Civil War Rregiments," as I thought it was a really good
                                  periodical. They did not pick up "Journal of the Indian Wars,"
                                  either. Ah, well.

                                  Hope you are well.

                                  Kind regards,

                                  ted
                                  www.savasbeatie.com

                                  wrote:
                                  > Hi Ted,
                                  >
                                  > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
                                  your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
                                  Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                                  > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
                                  recommend them to poster here.

                                  > Bob Taubman
                                  > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                                  > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                                  > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                                  > to none.
                                  >
                                  > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                                  the
                                  > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                                  > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                                  > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                                  > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                                  > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                                  flight
                                  > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                                  printed
                                  > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                                  > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                                  >
                                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
                                  > wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                                  > >
                                  > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                                  > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                                  > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                                  those
                                  > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                                  > outcome of the campaign."
                                  > >
                                  > > Bob Taubman
                                  > >

                                  > > Bob Taubman wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                                  > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                                  is
                                  > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                                  > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                                  > Will Fall.
                                  > >
                                  > > Sam Elliott

                                  > Service.
                                  > >

                                  > > ---------------------------------
                                  >

                                  > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                • Bill Gower
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                    Thanks Ted for recommending your book. I found it on AbeBooks for $30 and
                                    supposedly it is in very good shape.

                                    wrote:
                                    > Hi Ted,
                                    >
                                    > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
                                    your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
                                    Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                                    > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
                                    recommend them to poster here.

                                    > Bob Taubman
                                    > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                                    > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                                    > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                                    > to none.
                                    >
                                    > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                                    the
                                    > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                                    > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                                    > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                                    > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                                    > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                                    flight
                                    > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                                    printed
                                    > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                                    > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                                    >
                                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                                    > >
                                    > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                                    > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                                    > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                                    those
                                    > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                                    > outcome of the campaign."
                                    > >
                                    > > Bob Taubman
                                    > >

                                    > > Bob Taubman wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                                    > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                                    is
                                    > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                                    > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                                    > Will Fall.
                                    > >
                                    > > Sam Elliott

                                    > Service.
                                    > >

                                    > > ---------------------------------
                                    >

                                    > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                                  • Rick Moody
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                                      --- "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@...> wrote:

                                      > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a
                                      > penny on it any
                                      > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the
                                      > topis is second
                                      > to none.
                                      >
                                      > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta
                                      > &Sherman's March to the
                                      > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the
                                      > HARDCOVER
                                      > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the
                                      > color maps in
                                      > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like
                                      > the Atlanta
                                      > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because
                                      > the editors
                                      > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers
                                      > are top flight
                                      > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel,
                                      > etc.) We printed
                                      > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy
                                      > if you can and
                                      > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                                      With interest in the western theater at an all time
                                      high, print out a few thousand more and I will be on
                                      the list for the next batch. Its sure to sell!

                                      Rick Moody
                                      r_moody@...

                                      When you arise in the morning,
                                      give thanks for the morning light,