books on the Atlanta Campaign

  • Bill Gower
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005

      I have the book “Decision in the West”.  Are there any other books on the Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

    • Dave Gorski
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
        >I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other books
        >on the Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

        I recommend;

        "The Campaign for Atlanta," by William Scaife.
        Outstanding for its 26 maps alone.

        "Echoes of Battle, The Atlanta Campaign," Edited by
        Larry Strayer and Richard Baumgartner.
        Notable for the use of letters, diaries, and reminiscences
        of both Union and Confederate participants.

        "Atlanta 1864," by Richard M. McMurry

        "Last Train From Atlanta," by A. A. Hoehling

        I though both of these were worthwhile books on the
        Atlanta Campaign.

        Regards, Dave Gorski
      • DORR64OVI@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
          In a message dated 8/2/2005 9:27:45 PM Eastern Standard Time, bigg@... writes:
             "Echoes of Battle, The Atlanta Campaign," Edited by
          Larry Strayer and Richard Baumgartner.
          Notable for the use of letters, diaries, and reminiscences
          of both Union and Confederate participants.
          There is also a separate volume of Echos of Battle, Kennesaw Mt by Richard Baumgartner with the same emphasis.   One of the last times I chatted with Rick, he indicated that he would like at some point in the future to have Echos volumes on many of the separate Atlanta engagements.

          Kent Dorr
        • Rick Moody
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
            --- Bill Gower <billgower@...> wrote:

            > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there
            > any other books on the
            > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

            As long as you understand that he was a Sherman
            subordinate, I like all of General Cox's books on the
            western campaign. It gives you an insiders
            perspective. Don't expect much criticism, though he
            offers mild criticism of the attack at Kennesaw
            Mountain and General Hooker's performance. Its a good
            quick overview of the campaign. Look elsewhere for an
            in-depth and neutral study.

            Rick Moody
            r_moody@...

            When you arise in the morning,
            give thanks for the morning light,
            for your life and strength.
            Give thanks for your food,
            and the joy of living.

            If you see no reason for giving thanks,
            the fault lies with yourself.

            Tecumseh, Shawnee (The Southern People)

            http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
          • josepharose
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 2, 2005
              For a digital copy of Cox's "Military Reminiscences of the Civil War,
              volumes 1 and 2, you can download it here:
              http://www.thalasson.com/gtn/gtnletC.htm#coxjacob

              Joseph

              > As long as you understand that he was a Sherman
              > subordinate, I like all of General Cox's books on the
              > western campaign. It gives you an insiders
              > perspective. Don't expect much criticism, though he
              > offers mild criticism of the attack at Kennesaw
              > Mountain and General Hooker's performance. Its a good
              > quick overview of the campaign. Look elsewhere for an
              > in-depth and neutral study.
              >

              > Rick Moody
              > r_moody@y...
              >

              > When you arise in the morning,
              > give thanks for the morning light,
              > for your life and strength.
              > Give thanks for your food,
              > and the joy of living.
              >
              > If you see no reason for giving thanks,
              > the fault lies with yourself.
              >
              > Tecumseh, Shawnee (The Southern People)

              > http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • Michael McKinnon

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
                  wrote:
                  > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other books
                  on the
                  > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?

                  Gen. Jacob Cox, a participant in the Campaign, Wrote "Shermans'
                  Campaign for Atlanta." Dry.

                  William R. Scaife wrote "The Campaign for Atlanta." The maps are
                  supurb, but he needs more analysis.

                  Don
                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I have the book "Decision in the West". Are there any other
                    books
                    > on the
                    > > Atlanta Campaign worthwhile owning?
                    >
                    > Gen. Jacob Cox, a participant in the Campaign, Wrote "Shermans'
                    > Campaign for Atlanta." Dry.
                    >
                    > William R. Scaife wrote "The Campaign for Atlanta." The maps are
                    > supurb, but he needs more analysis.

                    'Marching through Georgia', by Lee Kennett, is a good soldier's - eye
                    view of the campaign.

                    It's not so much about strategy but the everyday life in the campaign
                    of mud and hunger and dust and blood.

                    Not quite Ernie Pyle but pretty close...

                    HankC
                  • SDE80@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005
                      Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta Will Fall.

                      Sam Elliott
                    • Bob Taubman
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005

                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 3, 2005

                          I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;

                          "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the outcome of the campaign."

                          Bob Taubman

                          Bob Taubman <rtaubman@...> wrote:

                          SDE80@... wrote:

                          Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta Will Fall.

                          Sam Elliott

                        • Theodore P. Savas
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                            This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                            longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                            to none.

                            So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to the
                            Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                            edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                            the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                            Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                            were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top flight
                            (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We printed
                            1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                            add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
                            wrote:

                            > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                            >
                            > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                            strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                            mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those
                            advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                            outcome of the campaign."

                            > Bob Taubman
                            >

                            > Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                            >
                            > SDE80@a... wrote:
                            > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is
                            a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                            editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                            Will Fall.

                            > Sam Elliott

                            Service.

                            > ---------------------------------
                          • aot1952
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                              Mr.Savas-
                              I agree, I fortunately got a copy of this publication when it came
                              out and it is excellent. Also a good source is the University of
                              Michigan which sells copies of Doctoral Dissertations. There are two
                              good one's on the North Georgia and Atlanta campaigns. One is
                              McMurray's on the battles around Atlanta, it argues that Hood was
                              not the inept boob many argue. The cost several years ago was 50
                              bucks.
                              They also have a 40 year old dissertation by Cunningham on Shiloh.
                              It is also excellent IMHO.
                              Regards-
                              Wakefield

                              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Theodore P. Savas"
                              <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                              > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                              > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                              > to none.
                              >
                              > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                              the
                              > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                              > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                              > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                              > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                              > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                              flight
                              > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                              printed
                              > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                              > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                              >
                              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...>
                              > wrote:
                              > >
                              > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                              > >
                              > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                              > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                              > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                              those
                              > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                              > outcome of the campaign."
                              > >
                              > > Bob Taubman
                              > >

                              > > Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
                              > >
                              > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                              > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                              is
                              > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                              > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                              > Will Fall.
                              > >
                              > > Sam Elliott

                              > Service.
                              > >

                              > > ---------------------------------
                            • Bob Taubman
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                Hi Ted,

                                We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when your regimental series was a few years old.  We met at the Gettysburg book fair as well.  I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                                I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would recommend them to poster here.

                                Bob Taubman

                                wrote:

                                > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                                >
                                > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                                strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                                mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of those
                                advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                                outcome of the campaign."

                                > Bob Taubman
                                >

                                > Bob Taubman wrote:
                                >
                                > SDE80@a... wrote:
                                > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series is
                                a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                                editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                                Will Fall.

                                > Sam Elliott

                                Service.

                                > ---------------------------------

                                What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good.

                                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                              • SDE80@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                  In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:44:44 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ted_savas@... writes:

                                  So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to the
                                  Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                                  edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                                  the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                                  Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                                  were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top flight
                                  (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We printed
                                  1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                                  add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                                  I agree this is a good book.  I have a softcover of half the book.

                                  Sam Elliott
                                • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                    In a message dated 8/4/2005 11:55:03 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aot1952@... writes:
                                    The cost several years ago was 50
                                    bucks.
                                    The value has held.  On the net, the two volumes are listed for $45

                                    JEJ
                                  • Theodore P. Savas
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                      Hi Bob

                                      Sure, I remember you very well. Always appreciated your support of
                                      our book projects. It was sad that Perseus Books Group did not pick
                                      up "Civil War Rregiments," as I thought it was a really good
                                      periodical. They did not pick up "Journal of the Indian Wars,"
                                      either. Ah, well.

                                      Hope you are well.

                                      Kind regards,

                                      ted
                                      www.savasbeatie.com

                                      wrote:
                                      > Hi Ted,
                                      >
                                      > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
                                      your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
                                      Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                                      > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
                                      recommend them to poster here.

                                      > Bob Taubman
                                      > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                                      > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                                      > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                                      > to none.
                                      >
                                      > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                                      the
                                      > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                                      > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                                      > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                                      > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                                      > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                                      flight
                                      > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                                      printed
                                      > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                                      > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                                      >
                                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
                                      > wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                                      > >
                                      > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                                      > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                                      > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                                      those
                                      > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                                      > outcome of the campaign."
                                      > >
                                      > > Bob Taubman
                                      > >

                                      > > Bob Taubman wrote:
                                      > >
                                      > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                                      > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                                      is
                                      > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                                      > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                                      > Will Fall.
                                      > >
                                      > > Sam Elliott

                                      > Service.
                                      > >

                                      > > ---------------------------------
                                      >

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links
                                    • Bill Gower
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                        Thanks Ted for recommending your book. I found it on AbeBooks for $30 and
                                        supposedly it is in very good shape.

                                        wrote:
                                        > Hi Ted,
                                        >
                                        > We've spoken by phone several times in the "ancient" past when
                                        your regimental series was a few years old. We met at the
                                        Gettysburg book fair as well. I live in Ottawa, Canada.

                                        > I have the soft and hard cover editions you mention and would
                                        recommend them to poster here.

                                        > Bob Taubman
                                        > "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@y...> wrote:
                                        > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a penny on it any
                                        > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the topis is second
                                        > to none.
                                        >
                                        > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta &Sherman's March to
                                        the
                                        > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the HARDCOVER
                                        > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the color maps in
                                        > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like the Atlanta
                                        > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because the editors
                                        > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers are top
                                        flight
                                        > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel, etc.) We
                                        printed
                                        > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy if you can and
                                        > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.
                                        >
                                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman
                                        > wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I couldn't get past the Author's Forward in Atlanta Will Fall;
                                        > >
                                        > > "Throughout the campaign, Sherman possesssed such numerical
                                        > strength, such sharp strategic thinking, such confidence, logical
                                        > mastery, and aggressive determination, that the combination of
                                        those
                                        > advantages against Johnston's passivity combined to determine the
                                        > outcome of the campaign."
                                        > >
                                        > > Bob Taubman
                                        > >

                                        > > Bob Taubman wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > SDE80@a... wrote:
                                        > > Richard McMurry's Atlanta 1864 in the Nebraska Campaign series
                                        is
                                        > a nice compact analysis, and Steve Davis, who is the book review
                                        > editor at Blue and Gray, has a provocative book entitled Atlanta
                                        > Will Fall.
                                        > >
                                        > > Sam Elliott

                                        > Service.
                                        > >

                                        > > ---------------------------------
                                        >

                                        > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                        Yahoo! Groups Links
                                      • Rick Moody
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 5, 2005
                                          --- "Theodore P. Savas" <ted_savas@...> wrote:

                                          > This book is long out of print, and I don't make a
                                          > penny on it any
                                          > longer, by the quality of the contributors and the
                                          > topis is second
                                          > to none.
                                          >
                                          > So let me suggest "The Campaign for Atlanta
                                          > &Sherman's March to the
                                          > Sea," vols. 1-2 (Savas Woodbury, 1993). This is the
                                          > HARDCOVER
                                          > edition of the first two volumes combined, with the
                                          > color maps in
                                          > the envelope tucked inside the cover. If you like
                                          > the Atlanta
                                          > Campaign, this book, frankly, is a must (not because
                                          > the editors
                                          > were anything special--they aren't), but the writers
                                          > are top flight
                                          > (McCMurry, Woodworth, Scaife, Terry Jones, Castel,
                                          > etc.) We printed
                                          > 1,500 copies and they sold out quickly. Find a copy
                                          > if you can and
                                          > add it to your library. You won't be disappointed.

                                          With interest in the western theater at an all time
                                          high, print out a few thousand more and I will be on
                                          the list for the next batch. Its sure to sell!

                                          Rick Moody
                                          r_moody@...

                                          When you arise in the morning,
                                          give thanks for the morning light,