Re: 1st Victory

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 56 , Jul 31, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Bob Taubman <rtaubman@r...> wrote:
      > First "significant" victory, would IMHO be a more appropriate
      defintion for Mill Springs. Most civil war historians would give
      Thomas that credit.

      Mr. Taubman,

      The only quibble that I would make is that Mill Springs might better
      be termed a significant *battlefield* victory whereas the fighting in
      West Virginia could be said to have culminated in an earlier
      *strategic* victory for the Union (not that Mill Springs wasn't also a
      strategic victory). The battle of Rich Mountain was far smaller in
      size and intensity than Mill Springs.

      Similarly, Fort Henry was not much of a battle, but it had a
      significant strategic effect. Fort Donelson was both a battle and a
      strategic victory of a much larger order than any of the other actions
      noted above.

      Joseph
    • josepharose
      Message 56 of 56 , Jul 31, 2005