[civilwarwest] another question

  • Autumn0102@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 2, 2000
      Hey guys!
      I have yet another question..I looked for the answer, but couldn't find
      it..maybe you guys can help...What were Buford, Chamberlain, Longstreet, and
      Lee's feelings and attitudes towards A.) War in general B.)The Civil War and
      C.)why were they, PERSONALLY, fighting the Civil War
      I appreciate any help I recieve...Thanks!!
      Autumn
    • Autumn0102@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 2, 2000
          Hi Autumn,

                  Not quite in the Western Theater but I will try to help.  This is not a terribly hard question but one that does requires some thought. Here is my opinion.
                  Of the four you mentioned, three, Lee, Buford (I assume you mean John and not his half brother Napoleon), and Longstreet, were professional soldiers. Like all professional soldiers, then and now, they hated war but were fully prepared to fight it. They had trained all their lives for this. That's what soldiering is about.  They were fighting because that's what they did, train for and fight wars.  Of the three, I expect Lee was the most upset by the war. Not for the killing and destruction he knew was to come, he could accept "empty chairs" at the table, but because of being torn between loyalty to his country and loyalty to his state.  In a letter he wrote to his sister on April  20, 1861 he said, "....I had to meet the question whether I should take part against my native State.  With all my devotion to the Union, and the feeling of loyalty and duty of an American citizen, I have not been able to make up my mind to raise my hand against my relatives, my children, my home. I have therefore resigned my commission in the army, and  save in defence of my native State, with the sincere hope that my poor services may never be needed, I hope I may never be called on to draw my sword".
                  Now about the other gentleman you named, Josh Chamberlain.  He was the farthest thing from a "professional soldier".  He was a school teacher by trade. A professor at Bowdoin College (Maine) before the war, and had no training for war, nor did he relish the idea of fighting one. However, he was intensely loyal to the Union and felt he had to do something. He took a "sabbatical" from his college, telling no one what he was going to do, and went to the state capitol to join. He was offered the command of a state regiment but refused, feeling himself inadequate to command and preferred to get his training in war as second in command.  From his long hours huddled next to the dead on the slopes of Maryre's Height's, to the jagged granite outcrop known as Little Round Top, to the trenches at Petersburg, and finally to the tear filled eyes at Appomattox, Chamberlain was the perfect example of the "Citizen Soldier" that this country has called on so many times in our history.

          Remember, this is my opinion only and may or may not have any basis in fact.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)

               I have yet another question..I looked for the answer, but couldn't find
          > it..maybe you guys can help...What were Buford,
          Chamberlain, Longstreet, and
          > Lee's feelings and attitudes towards A.)
          War in general B.)The Civil War and
          > C.)why were they, PERSONALLY,
          fighting the Civil War

                    I appreciate any help I recieve...Thanks!!

                            Autumn

          At Esurance.com you can buy customized insurance online. Call 1-800-926-6012 and complete a quote today to start saving money tomorrow or just go to

          href="http://click.egroups.com/1/611/1/_/14182/_/946837961">http://click.egroups.com/1/611/1/_/14182/_/946837961

          > --
          href="http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1">http://www.egroups.com/ChatPage?listName=civilwarwest&m=1

        • Dick Weeks