Chickamauga Anniversary

  • The Coys
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 20, 2005
      All (Lee, Sam, or Dave?),
          Does anyone know if Chickamauga has anything going on or events, etc during the anniversary week/weekend?  Does the park put on special tours?

      Kevin

    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 24, 2005
        In a message dated 7/20/2005 11:41:38 AM Eastern Standard Time, thecoys@... writes:
        Does anyone know if Chickamauga has anything going on or events, etc during the anniversary week/weekend?  Does the park put on special tours?
        They always do--usually living historians, tours emphazizing significant battle actions, etc.  They would be on the Park's website.

        Sam Elliott
      • The Coys
        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 24, 2005
          Sam,
              Thanks.  Was on the site and nothing posted yet.  Again, thanks.

          Kevin

        • DPowell334@AOL.COM
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 24, 2005
            In a message dated 7/24/2005 9:23:42 AM Central Daylight Time, thecoys@... writes:

            Sam,
                Thanks.  Was on the site and nothing posted yet.  Again, thanks.

            Kevin

            -----

            The summer schedule is still up. I expect they will post something towards the end of August, assuming they work out the plan.

            I will be down there for the week. I am on a tour on Friday and Saturday, and then on the field with some friends from Sunday the 18th to Tuesday the 20th, on my own, basically. I like to hang out on the actual days of the battle.

            The park usually does a series of 2 hour car caravan and walking tours, focusing on specific actions.

            Dave Powell
          • DPowell334@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 22, 2008

              I just got back from Chickamauga ’s 145th anniversary. The park has had a mixed bag of arranging special programs for the anniversaries, but this year was quite good. They ran free bus tours at two hour intervals, had several living history events (arty and Cav demonstrations, a representation of Company H, 1st Tennessee  - company aytch of sam Watkins fame – a hospital detachment, and the 21st Ohio infantry.

              The best events are the 2-hour ranger-led walking tours that focus on specific aspects of the battle. These were running all day on Saturday and Sunday, with some evening tours as well.

              Of course, VP Cheney elected to visit the part on Friday (he had a ggf in the 21st Ohio ) and the security for that did disrupt a lot of the planned activities on Friday, but by Saturday AM things were back to normal.

              Personally, I went on a number of the tours, but spent most of my time studying some aspects of the battle (mostly end of the 20th retreat from the field stuff) that I haven’t completely figured out yet.

              BTW, anyone got contacts with the CWPT? There is possibly a real buying opportunity at Chickamauga , and it would be a shame to let it go unnoticed.

              Currently, a 103 acre farm is for sale at Reed’s Bridge. This is not land ancillary to the battle – it is the very ground where the battle began. Minty’s Federal Cavalry held of Bushrod Johnson’s and Nathan Bedford Forrest’s Rebels for several hours, in both mounted and dismounted action.

              This ground is akin to saving McPherson’s Ridge at Gettysburg , in terms of its relationship to the battle.

              Jim Ogden, the park Historian, mentioned that it was for sale, but that he hasn’t had much time to bring it to the attention of preservation groups. (The Cheney thing, for example, fell on the park like a bomb three weeks ago.)

              Only a portion of the acreage is historic, so this would be a great opportunity for a preservation group to buy it, donate the important part, and resell the rest, perhaps the way the Lady Farm was handled at Gettysburg .

              I intend to write a letter to the CWPT, but I was hoping that someone on one of these boards might be able to give me a more personal introduction.

              Dave Powell