Re: [civilwarwest] Attrocities.......(Question)

  • Michael McKinnon
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 2, 2005
      I believe you are mistaken.  Grant had a great deal to do with it.

      Michael

      Jfepperson@... wrote:

       Was Sherman's investigation before or after Grants
      decision to cease prisoner exchanges?

      Did Shermans investigation have any bearing on Grants
      decision to stop the exchange?

      Was the decision based solely upon the souths
      unwillingness to exchanging black soldiers?

      =====

      You are confused.  The cartel was suspended in July, 1863, by
      order of Secretary of War Stanton.  Grant had nothing to do with
      it.

      JFE

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • James F. Epperson
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 2, 2005
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Michael McKinnon
        <tsjdmxm2000@y...> wrote:
        > I believe you are mistaken. Grant had a great deal to do with it.

        But not until 1864, and the cartel was suspended in July, 1863.
        Grant's role was to keep in place a policy that had been formulated
        the year before. Now, he did this because he agreed with the
        policy, of course. But the decision to suspend the cartel was
        not Grant's.

        JFE
      • Dick Weeks
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 2, 2005
          Thanks Jim. I knew you were right but it had been so long since I looked at
          this prisoner exchange issue I was not sure of all the details so I decided
          to do a little reading. I found a really good explanation of it and stuck
          the article on my website for those that might not have it in their library.
          The "source" is at the end of the article.

          http://www.civilwarhome.com/prisonerexchange.htm

          I hope this helps clear up some of the misunderstandings that others,
          including myself, might have on the issue.

          Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
          http://www.civilwarhome.com

        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 2, 2005
            In a message dated 7/1/2005 7:15:43 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, r_moody@... writes:
            Was Sherman's investigation before or after Grants
            decision to cease prisoner exchanges?

            The tribunal headed by Sherman to investigate NBF and the Ft Pillow affair was after the war ended and had nothing to do with prisoner exchange.

            JEJ