RE: [civilwarwest] Re: An introduction

  • Tom Mix
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 1, 2005

      That is great.  I like it.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com [mailto:civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of tairisanders2000@...
      Sent: Friday, July 01, 2005 12:05 PM
      To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Re: An introduction

      In a message dated 01/07/2005 17:47:11 GMT Daylight Time, banbruner@... writes:

      I have heard the British cellebrate the 4th of July as good riddance day.

      As for the term red neck, all you have to see is a farmer without his shirt on to fully understand the term.  I think term refers to the front and throat area more than to the back as farmers usually turned their collars up to protect that vulnerable area from the sun and one does not plow with his head down. The term was used as a perjoritive by plantationists against those who in the north would be called yoemen farmers (ie those

       who worked their own land).

      WHB

      To be honest if you have American freinds living in UK we do celebrate it...but the Brits find any excuse to party :). I really do not think any here really has hard feelings about losing that war although when I spent my first 4th of July in US last year I upset my fiance by hanging a British flag from the window with the slogan "God Bless The Colonies". But my sence of humour is very warped. :)

    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 1, 2005
        Touching tale. Any American Legion or VFW post would be happy to take the flag and burn it properly.

        You might suggest to the unrepentant yankee, that she might use "daft sod" occasionally.