Re: [civilwarwest] Re: An introduction

  • banbruner@aol.com
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 1, 2005
      In a message dated 7/1/2005 8:37:37 AM Eastern Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
      Oh as a final thought that might amuse you I was asked by an American Lady if the British celebrated July 4th to which i replied "Of course we relish all our defeats"
      I have heard the British cellebrate the 4th of July as good riddance day.
      As for the term red neck, all you have to see is a farmer without his shirt on to fully understand the term.  I think term refers to the front and throat area more than to the back as farmers usually turned their collars up to protect that vulnerable area from the sun and one does not plow with his head down. The term was used as a perjoritive by plantationists against those who in the north would be called yoemen farmers (ie those
       who worked their own land).
      WHB
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 1, 2005
        Touching tale. Any American Legion or VFW post would be happy to take the flag and burn it properly.

        You might suggest to the unrepentant yankee, that she might use "daft sod" occasionally.