Re: [civilwarwest] NBF

  • H. D. Frieda, Jr.
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      I agree with William T. Sherman's statement.."After all, I think Forrest was the most remarkable  man our Civil War produced, on either side".

      historybuff
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
        aot1952 <aot1952@...> wrote:

        "He remains a fascinating character a lot more interesting than all those 'prissy boys' in the Army of
        Northern Virginia! There is a reason Rhett Butler fought with the AoT and Ashley Wilkes fought with the AoNV!
        As usual I could be all wrong-
        Wakefield
        ('AoT')

        Steve,
            That is hilarious. :)

        Isn't there a story of an incident that happened at Chickamauga when Longstreet's ANV boys arrived in their new uniforms.  One of the AoT soldiers made a similar comment along the lines of "be careful boys, those ain't your prissy boys of the east, those are real westerners your facing."

        Kevin S. Coy

      • Tom Mix
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

          Yes, I have read that some where too.  Also, the ANV boys noted a different ferocity in the Western Blue’s as well.  Of course, that would change when a good Western General took over in D.C.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

            While Grant’s predecessor in DC was, of course, a Western general, many would argue that he was not a good one.  He certainly was not a good G-i-C.

            Harry

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
              Have just finished reading Shotgun's reccomnended reading on his wonderful site.
              And would reccomend it strongly to anyone who wishes to comment intelligently on this subject.
              WHB