Re: [civilwarwest] NBF

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
      In a message dated 7/1/2005 1:36:13 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:
      He grew as a person and that was not easy to do in that
      time and place.  The man he became after the war is light years removed
      from the one of the war and prior to the war. Plus he was a great
      General and that cannot be denied.
      Tom
      For this thread I am changing the Subject line to NBF for that is whom we are talking about.

      Tom is correct, NBF was a great Confederate general.  His tactics and maneuvers are still studied as a positive way to do things at West Point, VMI, the Citadel and other prominent military learning institutions.  As far as Ft Pillow is concerned, whether he gave the order or not, the action of no quarter given was common amongst military actions within that period of time.  Remember Santa Anna at the Alamo some twenty years earlier.

      As far as prisoners being shot, both sides of the conflict were guilty of that.  What made NBF's actions at Ft Pillow more sensationalized, was that those that were shot, were primarily Black.  If the troops at Ft Pillow had been all White, the action would have been noted but not publicized or criticized like it has been.

      This is only my opinion and as our Steve says, and then too I could be wrong.

      JEJ
    • H. D. Frieda, Jr.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1, 2005
        I agree with William T. Sherman's statement.."After all, I think Forrest was the most remarkable  man our Civil War produced, on either side".

        historybuff

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
          aot1952 <aot1952@...> wrote:

          "He remains a fascinating character a lot more interesting than all those 'prissy boys' in the Army of
          Northern Virginia! There is a reason Rhett Butler fought with the AoT and Ashley Wilkes fought with the AoNV!
          As usual I could be all wrong-
          Wakefield
          ('AoT')

          Steve,
              That is hilarious. :)

          Isn't there a story of an incident that happened at Chickamauga when Longstreet's ANV boys arrived in their new uniforms.  One of the AoT soldiers made a similar comment along the lines of "be careful boys, those ain't your prissy boys of the east, those are real westerners your facing."

          Kevin S. Coy

        • Tom Mix
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

            Yes, I have read that some where too.  Also, the ANV boys noted a different ferocity in the Western Blue’s as well.  Of course, that would change when a good Western General took over in D.C.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005

              While Grant’s predecessor in DC was, of course, a Western general, many would argue that he was not a good one.  He certainly was not a good G-i-C.

              Harry

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 2, 2005
                Have just finished reading Shotgun's reccomnended reading on his wonderful site.
                And would reccomend it strongly to anyone who wishes to comment intelligently on this subject.
                WHB