Re: [civilwarwest] Re: An introduction

  • tairisanders2000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 60 , Jul 1, 2005
      In a message dated 01/07/2005 06:43:58 GMT Daylight Time, tmix@... writes:

      Sadly, for some reason that lady’s reaction to the British and July 4th does not surprise me.  You will see worse and it is pathetic.

      A “redneck” comes from how farmers in the field worked with their heads down focusing on plowing a field.  As a result, the backs of their necks became sunburned thus creating a red neck.  Today it is a derogatory term for those who live in the small town mostly rural communities.  Some embrace the term with pride.  When you get here listen to a good country western radio station and you will learn a whole nother culture.  One I tend to identify with more today than long ago.

      tom

      I am pleased that in recent years that the US is starting to realise it's unique heritige and making greater efforts to preserve historical buildings and create more awareness. However many states have removed history from their compulsory curriculum and its no longer a requirement expected by the Federal Government, which I find horrifying. Laura Bush's campain to restore interest in history in younger kids is great. However if you look at the curriculum of Illinois you will find in four years of high school with just 2 hours a week per class they have to study Europian, Asian, Middle East and African history...far too much and . Personally I think it should be only American history at high school and should they wish to move further wait till college. I worked it out that a Illinois history teacher could spend no more than about 2 hours a year on the Civil War. Of course It could be worse, i understand that states like Massachusets only teach about civil rights and emancipation and the negative parts of US history. (Though i admit i have not seen there curriculum and only read reports) Washington is not even in the curriculum. Regretably throughout the world schools are the battleground of polititions and they are not noted for their duty to things such as facts. I also read government statistics for literacey and was quite shocked to discover that the average American Adult Male (I have no idea why they just included male) has the reading age of 14.
      Fortunatly I am marrying a lawyer and can afford private education However I am in the minority. Perhaps if schools invested as much in education as they did their football teams a few more folk would understand the importance of July 4th and the Civil War. (Im a geek not a jock :)

      TA
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 60 of 60 , Jul 1, 2005
        Touching tale. Any American Legion or VFW post would be happy to take the flag and burn it properly.

        You might suggest to the unrepentant yankee, that she might use "daft sod" occasionally.