RE: [civilwarwest] Nurenburg Defense; was Shelby Foote

  • basecat1@aol.com
    Message 1 of 134 , Jun 30, 2005
      I must agree with Steve. Trying to explain what Forrest and explaining
      his possible mind set when doing it is understanding the man, his times,
      the law, his culture and the environment that he grew up in. It does not
      mean we agree with him, but to not try to understand the why is a
      failure to try to understand the history. You cannot do a complete study
      of the history of an event without trying to understand the environment
      it occurred in. Ones environment often dictates ones reactions to
      situations.
      After the war that environment changed dramatically and Forrest adapted
      to it in a positive manner.  How the Klan started and what it became was
      not part of Forrest's responsibility. He opposed it's evolution.  That
      to is adapting.  He grew as a person and that was not easy to do in that
      time and place.  The man he became after the war is light years removed
      from the one of the war and prior to the war. Plus he was a great
      General and that cannot be denied.
      Tom

      Tom.

      Two problems I have with John's argument...One..that I agree with NBF's mindset. No, I don't, but can see how he made that decision...and two, both sides were horrible atrocity wise....Just my opiion.

      Steve Basic
    • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
      Message 134 of 134 , Jul 5, 2005
        i don't think you can add John Brown Gordon to any list of "Great
        commanders". His actions are often exaggerated by himself and his performance leaves a
        lot to be desired.

        Best regards.