Help an Ignorant Foreigner

  • tairisanders2000@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
      I have noticed with curiosity some members sign themselves with ranks. I assumed this was because members were in the US military but noted some reffer themselves to divisions that do not, as far as I am aware, exist. Could someone please enlighten me to the meaning of this??

      TA
    • John Beatty
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
        These are usually make-belive ranks, some in
        reenacting units, some just grabbed from favorite
        generals or other means. Don't mean nothin', or I'd
        outrank most everybony here.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
          In a message dated 6/30/2005 3:48:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tairisanders2000@... writes:
          Could someone please enlighten me to the meaning of this??

          TA

          Many of us use as a screen name, the name and rank of an ancestor, or for one who fought during the war.  For example, my screen name is in honor of General Joseph Eggleston Johnston, CSA whom I believe has gotten a rough turn from historians.  But all in all Tairi, as they would say on your side of the pond, its nothing to flap about.

          JEJ
        • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
            In a message dated 6/30/2005 4:01:52 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, jdbeatty.geo@... writes:
            Don't mean nothin', or I'd
            outrank most everybony here.

            Just a lonely light colonel here

            JEJ
          • tairisanders2000@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
              In a message dated 30/06/2005 21:39:11 GMT Daylight Time, GnrlJEJohnston@... writes:
              In a message dated 6/30/2005 3:48:03 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tairisanders2000@... writes:
              Could someone please enlighten me to the meaning of this??

              TA

              Many of us use as a screen name, the name and rank of an ancestor, or for one who fought during the war.  For example, my screen name is in honor of General Joseph Eggleston Johnston, CSA whom I believe has gotten a rough turn from historians.  But all in all Tairi, as they would say on your side of the pond, its nothing to flap about.

              JEJ
              I quite assure you it was genuine curiosity, nothing more nor less. :) Most Confederate officers have received a "rough turn" by historians, fortunatly the balance is slowly being redressed

              TA

            • Steve Saultz
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 30, 2005
                ...Some things just never quite end...