Re: [civilwarwest] Why was Corps Command so difficult

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 24 , Jun 20, 2005
      In a message dated 6/16/2005 3:41:31 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, aot1952@... writes:
      McPherson, we talked a little about but I still believe he was like
      my nice brother-in-law a guy with a lot of potential but never much
      more.
      I believe you when you said he would be a nice brother-in-law.  Out of those commanders in West, he probably was the most intelligent.  If memory serves me correct, JB graduated at the top of his class at WP.  Character wise, his Confederate opposite would most likely be Robert E. Lee.  Also like Lee, his primary training was in engineering.  I believe that the Western theater benefited when JB while in Boston, swapped duty assignments with another Captain that was slated to come West.  His major kudos could be that when given an order, he did his best to see that it was accomplished to the best of his command's ability.  As we know, it was JB that made out the battle plans for Forts Henry and Donnelson which were Union victories.  He was not a glory seeker but according to his reports in the OR's   he gives credit to his subordinates for the efforts they put forth, rather than on himself.  One of these days, I would love to go up to Ohio (Land of the Useless Nuts = Buckeyes) and see if I could go through the private collection of his papers.  There has been only one biographical book written on him and that was written shortly after the war.  With the exception of Resaca where he mistakenly listened to and took the advice from Grenville Dodge, he did a commendable job as commander of the Army of the Tennessee.  He also did a commendable job as commander of the XVI Army Corps.  Nothing flashy, but did a job of commanding that Sherman and Grant could depend upon.

      But then like you say, I too could be mistaken.  (PS  Don't tell my wife that I said that  )

      JEJ