Re: Firing teams at Resacca

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 9, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, banbruner@a... wrote:
      > > I am just now reading Castel's Decision in the West. He speaks
      of John
      > > Browns brig. of Stevenson's Div, Hoods Corps assembling his troops
      > into three men
      > > firing teams. The best shooters doning all the firing while
      > supported by two
      > > men keeping him supplied with loaded rifles This is the first time
      > I've run
      > > across this procedure but it does seem would be very effecient if
      > the men were
      > > properly trained and practiced.
      >

      > I have nothing to go on except gut, but I have to believe this sort
      of
      > thing occurred frequently. The men, I think, would have come up with
      > the tactic on their own countless times; veterans for sure.
      >
      > Carl

      I would agree that this happened several times during the war at
      least, although it may have been more of an impromptu decision by the
      soldiers (the CSA at Fredericksburg might have been one example).
      Along with the reasons given before, it's a good tactic when there is
      a limited front to fire from (e.g., too many troops behind a short
      length of stone wall) and it would also help, depending on the lay of
      the land, to keep the loaders partially or completely out of the line
      of fire.

      Joseph