Snake Creek Gap (again)

  • genesispg
    Message 1 of 101 , Jun 2, 2005
      I have not posted in a while so here is another effort. You may
      comment away all you want. I hope to not get the Sherman fans and
      Thomas fans(of which I am one) something to think about.

      One think that Castel does not mention in his book is the time
      differential involved moving 60,000 men (The Army of the Cumberland)
      thru Snake Creek Gap vs McPherson moving 20,000 men. Under normal
      circumstances, it would take Thomas 3 times as long to move three
      times the men. I am assuming Sherman would want to use a modicum of
      suprise in capturing the gap and Resaca.

      This does not bring up the canard that Thomas was slow. It would take
      more time for Thomas's men to get thru the gap than McPherson's men.
      Just because there were 3 times the amount.

      Comments, please.

      Roger
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 101 of 101 , Jun 10, 2005
        You've outlined a scenario that would have guaranteed Union defeat at Pittsburg Landing. Two divisions could not have withstood the assault launched. By the time the divisions at Crump's Landing could be moved into support position, it would have been all over. A division at Hamburg Landing could not have helped much.

        As it was, the divisions present were almost defeated. Too many Confederates for Union resistance. Had PGTB not called a halt near sundown, there might have been a different conclusion.