Re: [civilwarwest] FW: Severance on Marszalek, _Commander of All Lincoln's Ar...

  • CAMPAIGN62@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
      Thank you. I think Lincoln found Halleck useful as a buffer between him and
      the army. Halleck could also issue dismissal orders so Lincoln did not have to
      be involved.

      As always, your servant.

      Jjim Hyslop
    • Bob Huddleston
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
        There is an old Army saying that either the captain or the first sergeant must be a SOB to have an effective company. Lincoln, like all politicians, hated to say no. He was fortunate to have two SOBs working for him -- Stanton and Halleck. :>)

        Take care,

        Bob

        Judy and Bob Huddleston
        10643 Sperry Street
        Northglenn, CO  80234-3612
        303.451.6376  huddleston.r@...

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 1, 2005
          And therein lies Lincoln's forte.  He could insulate, transfer, build. and obfuscate with ultimate mastery.We still have but a small grasp of his capabilities. Call it what you will, the man was a master of the art of administering and making adjustments.