Re: Arrests at Shiloh

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups" <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
      > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
      > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
      > > officers:
      >
      > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
      > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
      > wondering.

      Correct.
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
        > wrote:
        > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
        > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
        > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
        > > officers:
        >
        > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
        > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
        > wondering.

        When was the order given? Actually during the battle on the 6th?

        I'd be curious about any officers that were left under arrest, meaning
        they were more useful off the field of battle than on it ;)

        Officers under arrest are removed from the chain of command, relieved
        of their sidearms and march with the provost, among other things...

        HankC
      • josepharose
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups"
          <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
          > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
          <josepharose@y...>
          > > wrote:
          > > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which
          indicates
          > > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
          > > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
          > > > officers:
          > >
          > > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle.
          The
          > > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
          > > wondering.
          >
          > Correct.

          Mr. Keene:

          Thank you for the MOLLUS reference.

          You are correct that this shows that the officers were released at
          the start of the battle. The paragraph in the note I mentioned in
          Grant's Papers starts with an order from Lagow issued "[u]nder the
          pressure of battle" where he directed Major Cooke to "arrest every
          Commissioned Officer that shows himself on the Levee near the
          Steamers unless sick or wounded." The note later quotes Lagow's
          order of release, seeming to imply that the two orders happened in
          this order.

          "Reminiscences Of A Surgeon" indicates that the order of release, at
          least in Chetlain's and McArthur's case, came well after their
          initial arrest.

          Several officers were, IIRC, arrested that first day. Are there any
          accounts as to who they were?

          Joseph