Reverend Aughey

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>
      wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@a... wrote:
      > > > Thanks. I needed that.
      > >

      > > http://docsouth.unc.edu/aughey/aughey.html
      > >
      > > I had the charge of three churches--Poplar Creek and French
      Camp,
      > > in
      > > Choctaw county, and Nazareth, in Attala county. French Camp was
      > > twelve
      > > miles from my home, and Nazareth twenty-eight miles distant. Dr.
      > > Smith
      > > determined to come to French Camp on the Sabbath I preached in
      that
      > > church and kill me there. He ordered his fast trotter,
      Bucephalus,
      > > be attached to the buggy, and preparing his pistols, he started in
      > > hot
      > > haste to effect his murderous purpose. He reached French Camp
      about
      > > one o'clock P.M. He learned that after the service I had gone to
      > dine
      > > with Major Garrard.
      >
      > From what I understand, the Nazareth Church was in Kosciusko just a
      > few miles from my GGG-Grandfather's farm. Subsequent to the
      > assasination attempt, Aughey then moved to the Spiva plantation on
      > the banks of the Yockanookany, about 10 miles away from George
      > Washington Gunter's farm.

      Interesting... I was re-reading portions of Aughey's text yesterday
      and he writes of a "Captain Love" who delivered a pro-Union speech
      during debates in Kosciusko. I believe this is the Captain Love who
      commanded George Washington Gunter's company of Mississippi State
      troops that later were ordered by the Mississippi governor to merge
      with other state units and form the 5th Mississippi Cavalry. George
      Washington Gunter was a Freemason, I suspect Captain Love was also,
      and it appears that Reverend Aughey was a Freemason.

      When the vigilance committee hauls Aughey in for an ad hoc "trial"
      they specifically question him about his experience in phonography
      and his status as a Freemason. I'm curious if Aughey really was an
      abolitionist agent, peddling Unionism in the local Masonic Lodges in
      the area.

      During his flight north and subsequent travails, he moves amongst a
      secret society of unionists who share a set of secret greetings,
      signals, and handshakes. I'm curious to know if these people were
      associated with the Freemasons in any way.