Re: Arrests at Shiloh

  • William H Keene
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      Joseph,

      I found a document online from the Mollus papers which refers to the McArthur and
      Chetlain arrests:
      http://suvcw.org/mollus/warpapers/ILv3p173.htm

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
      > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
      > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
      > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
      > officers:
      > For what were these men arrested? Are these incidents treated in
      > any studies of the battle or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing this
      > in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Joseph
    • civilwargroups
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        wrote:
        > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
        > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
        > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
        > officers:

        These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
        release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
        wondering.
      • William H Keene
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups" <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
          > wrote:
          > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
          > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
          > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
          > > officers:
          >
          > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
          > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
          > wondering.

          Correct.
        • hank9174
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
            <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
            > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
            > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
            > > officers:
            >
            > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
            > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
            > wondering.

            When was the order given? Actually during the battle on the 6th?

            I'd be curious about any officers that were left under arrest, meaning
            they were more useful off the field of battle than on it ;)

            Officers under arrest are removed from the chain of command, relieved
            of their sidearms and march with the provost, among other things...

            HankC
          • josepharose
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups"
              <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
              <josepharose@y...>
              > > wrote:
              > > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which
              indicates
              > > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
              > > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
              > > > officers:
              > >
              > > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle.
              The
              > > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
              > > wondering.
              >
              > Correct.

              Mr. Keene:

              Thank you for the MOLLUS reference.

              You are correct that this shows that the officers were released at
              the start of the battle. The paragraph in the note I mentioned in
              Grant's Papers starts with an order from Lagow issued "[u]nder the
              pressure of battle" where he directed Major Cooke to "arrest every
              Commissioned Officer that shows himself on the Levee near the
              Steamers unless sick or wounded." The note later quotes Lagow's
              order of release, seeming to imply that the two orders happened in
              this order.

              "Reminiscences Of A Surgeon" indicates that the order of release, at
              least in Chetlain's and McArthur's case, came well after their
              initial arrest.

              Several officers were, IIRC, arrested that first day. Are there any
              accounts as to who they were?

              Joseph