Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh

  • Tim Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1 6:28 AM

      Thanks for clearing that up.

      >From: DPowell334@...
      >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh
      >Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:21:24 EDT
      >
      >In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
      >jayhawker61@... writes:
      >
      > > I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during
      > > the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag
      > > carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may
      > > be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the
      > > addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.
      > >

      >Different McArthurs.
      >
      >John
      McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he
      >led a division through much of the next year or so.
      >
      >Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame
      >(and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.
      >
      >Dave Powell
    • William H Keene
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1 7:01 AM
        Joseph,

        I found a document online from the Mollus papers which refers to the McArthur and
        Chetlain arrests:
        http://suvcw.org/mollus/warpapers/ILv3p173.htm

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
        > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
        > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
        > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
        > officers:
        > For what were these men arrested? Are these incidents treated in
        > any studies of the battle or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing this
        > in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Joseph
      • civilwargroups
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1 8:50 AM
          wrote:
          > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
          > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
          > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
          > officers:

          These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
          release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
          wondering.
        • William H Keene
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1 8:52 AM
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups" <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
            > wrote:
            > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
            > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
            > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
            > > officers:
            >
            > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
            > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
            > wondering.

            Correct.
          • hank9174
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1 11:57 AM
              <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
              > wrote:
              > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
              > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
              > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
              > > officers:
              >
              > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
              > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
              > wondering.

              When was the order given? Actually during the battle on the 6th?

              I'd be curious about any officers that were left under arrest, meaning
              they were more useful off the field of battle than on it ;)

              Officers under arrest are removed from the chain of command, relieved
              of their sidearms and march with the provost, among other things...

              HankC
            • josepharose
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1 8:03 PM
                <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
                > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups"
                <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
                <josepharose@y...>
                > > wrote:
                > > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which
                indicates
                > > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                > > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                > > > officers:
                > >
                > > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle.
                The
                > > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                > > wondering.
                >
                > Correct.

                Mr. Keene:

                Thank you for the MOLLUS reference.

                You are correct that this shows that the officers were released at
                the start of the battle. The paragraph in the note I mentioned in
                Grant's Papers starts with an order from Lagow issued "[u]nder the
                pressure of battle" where he directed Major Cooke to "arrest every
                Commissioned Officer that shows himself on the Levee near the
                Steamers unless sick or wounded." The note later quotes Lagow's
                order of release, seeming to imply that the two orders happened in
                this order.

                "Reminiscences Of A Surgeon" indicates that the order of release, at
                least in Chetlain's and McArthur's case, came well after their
                initial arrest.

                Several officers were, IIRC, arrested that first day. Are there any
                accounts as to who they were?

                Joseph