Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
      In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time, jayhawker61@... writes:

      I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.

      Different McArthurs.

      John McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he led a division through much of the next year or so.

      Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame (and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.

      Dave Powell
    • Jfepperson@aol.com
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        In a message dated 6/1/2005 1:17:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jayhawker61@... writes:
        I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga.
        Different MacArthur...

        JFE
      • Tim Campbell
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005

          Thanks for clearing that up.

          >From: DPowell334@...
          >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh
          >Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:21:24 EDT
          >
          >In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
          >jayhawker61@... writes:
          >
          > > I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during
          > > the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag
          > > carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may
          > > be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the
          > > addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.
          > >

          >Different McArthurs.
          >
          >John
          McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he
          >led a division through much of the next year or so.
          >
          >Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame
          >(and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.
          >
          >Dave Powell
        • William H Keene
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
            Joseph,

            I found a document online from the Mollus papers which refers to the McArthur and
            Chetlain arrests:
            http://suvcw.org/mollus/warpapers/ILv3p173.htm

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
            > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
            > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
            > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
            > officers:
            > For what were these men arrested? Are these incidents treated in
            > any studies of the battle or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing this
            > in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Joseph
          • civilwargroups
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              wrote:
              > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
              > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
              > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
              > officers:

              These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
              release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
              wondering.
            • William H Keene
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups" <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
                > wrote:
                > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                > > officers:
                >
                > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                > wondering.

                Correct.
              • hank9174
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                  <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                  > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                  > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                  > > officers:
                  >
                  > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                  > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                  > wondering.

                  When was the order given? Actually during the battle on the 6th?

                  I'd be curious about any officers that were left under arrest, meaning
                  they were more useful off the field of battle than on it ;)

                  Officers under arrest are removed from the chain of command, relieved
                  of their sidearms and march with the provost, among other things...

                  HankC
                • josepharose
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                    <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups"
                    <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                    > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
                    <josepharose@y...>
                    > > wrote:
                    > > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which
                    indicates
                    > > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                    > > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                    > > > officers:
                    > >
                    > > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle.
                    The
                    > > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                    > > wondering.
                    >
                    > Correct.

                    Mr. Keene:

                    Thank you for the MOLLUS reference.

                    You are correct that this shows that the officers were released at
                    the start of the battle. The paragraph in the note I mentioned in
                    Grant's Papers starts with an order from Lagow issued "[u]nder the
                    pressure of battle" where he directed Major Cooke to "arrest every
                    Commissioned Officer that shows himself on the Levee near the
                    Steamers unless sick or wounded." The note later quotes Lagow's
                    order of release, seeming to imply that the two orders happened in
                    this order.

                    "Reminiscences Of A Surgeon" indicates that the order of release, at
                    least in Chetlain's and McArthur's case, came well after their
                    initial arrest.

                    Several officers were, IIRC, arrested that first day. Are there any
                    accounts as to who they were?

                    Joseph