RE: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh

  • Tim Campbell
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31, 2005

      "MacArthur, who came out with a very good reputation, I thought, from
      Shiloh"

          I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.

      >From: "josepharose" <josepharose@...>
      >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh
      >Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:11:59 -0000
      >
      >I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
      >that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
      >ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
      >officers:
      >
      >MacArthur, who
      came out with a very good reputation, I thought, from
      >Shiloh
      >
      >Chetlain, who was Grant's friend
      >
      >Morgan (of whom Veatch's OR dated 4/10/62 stated: *Lieutenant-
      >Colonel Morgan, of the Twenty-fifth Indiana, was severely wounded in
      >the leg very soon after his regiment became engaged. He was
      >compelled reluctantly to retire from the field. The loss of his
      >services was severely felt by both officers and men. *)
      >
      >Geddes (of whom Prentiss' OR dated 11/17/62 stated: *Upon Colonel
      >J.L. Geddes, Eighth Iowa, the same praise can be partly bestowed. He
      >and his regiment stood unflinchingly up to the work the entire
      >portion of the day during which he acted under my orders. *)
      >
      >Reed (of whom McHenry's OR dated 4/?/62 stated: *During the terrible
      >fire to which my regiment, together with
      your remnant of a brigade,
      >was repeatedly subjected on the 7th, we were in close proximity to
      >the Forty-fourth Indiana Regiment, Colonel H.B. Reed commanding,and
      >I cannot refrain from expressing my admiration of the gallant
      >conduct of that regiment, and the bravery, coolness, daring, and
      >judgment, of its brae commander. * and Lauman's OR dated 4/9/62
      >stated: *To Colonel Hugh B. Reed, of the Forty-fourth Indiana, I am
      >under many obligations, not only for his great gallantry, but also
      >for the valuable assistance he rendered me, after my personal staff
      >was disabled, in conveying orders to the different parts of the
      >command. * and Hurlbut's OR dated 4/12/62 stated: *His [Lauman's]
      >report renders full justice to his officers, among whom Colonel
      >Reed, of the Forty-fourth Indiana, was especially distinguished.
      *)

      >For what were these men arrested?  Are these incidents treated in
      >any studies of the battle or elsewhere?  I don't recall seeing this
      >in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
      >
      >Thanks,
      >Joseph
      >

      >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
      >What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
      >Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
      >http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM
      from this group, send an email to:

    • DPowell334@AOL.COM
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
        In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time, jayhawker61@... writes:

        I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.

        Different McArthurs.

        John McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he led a division through much of the next year or so.

        Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame (and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.

        Dave Powell
      • Jfepperson@aol.com
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          In a message dated 6/1/2005 1:17:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jayhawker61@... writes:
          I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga.
          Different MacArthur...

          JFE
        • Tim Campbell
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005

            Thanks for clearing that up.

            >From: DPowell334@...
            >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh
            >Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:21:24 EDT
            >
            >In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
            >jayhawker61@... writes:
            >
            > > I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during
            > > the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag
            > > carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may
            > > be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the
            > > addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.
            > >

            >Different McArthurs.
            >
            >John
            McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he
            >led a division through much of the next year or so.
            >
            >Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame
            >(and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.
            >
            >Dave Powell
          • William H Keene
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
              Joseph,

              I found a document online from the Mollus papers which refers to the McArthur and
              Chetlain arrests:
              http://suvcw.org/mollus/warpapers/ILv3p173.htm

              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
              > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
              > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
              > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
              > officers:
              > For what were these men arrested? Are these incidents treated in
              > any studies of the battle or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing this
              > in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > Joseph
            • civilwargroups
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                wrote:
                > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                > officers:

                These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                wondering.
              • William H Keene
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                  --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups" <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
                  > wrote:
                  > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                  > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                  > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                  > > officers:
                  >
                  > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                  > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                  > wondering.

                  Correct.
                • hank9174
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                    <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                    > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                    > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                    > > officers:
                    >
                    > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                    > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                    > wondering.

                    When was the order given? Actually during the battle on the 6th?

                    I'd be curious about any officers that were left under arrest, meaning
                    they were more useful off the field of battle than on it ;)

                    Officers under arrest are removed from the chain of command, relieved
                    of their sidearms and march with the provost, among other things...

                    HankC
                  • josepharose
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups"
                      <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
                      <josepharose@y...>
                      > > wrote:
                      > > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which
                      indicates
                      > > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                      > > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                      > > > officers:
                      > >
                      > > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle.
                      The
                      > > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                      > > wondering.
                      >
                      > Correct.

                      Mr. Keene:

                      Thank you for the MOLLUS reference.

                      You are correct that this shows that the officers were released at
                      the start of the battle. The paragraph in the note I mentioned in
                      Grant's Papers starts with an order from Lagow issued "[u]nder the
                      pressure of battle" where he directed Major Cooke to "arrest every
                      Commissioned Officer that shows himself on the Levee near the
                      Steamers unless sick or wounded." The note later quotes Lagow's
                      order of release, seeming to imply that the two orders happened in
                      this order.

                      "Reminiscences Of A Surgeon" indicates that the order of release, at
                      least in Chetlain's and McArthur's case, came well after their
                      initial arrest.

                      Several officers were, IIRC, arrested that first day. Are there any
                      accounts as to who they were?

                      Joseph