Arrests at Shiloh

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 10 , May 31 7:11 PM
      I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
      that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
      ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
      officers:

      MacArthur, who came out with a very good reputation, I thought, from
      Shiloh

      Chetlain, who was Grant's friend

      Morgan (of whom Veatch's OR dated 4/10/62 stated: *Lieutenant-
      Colonel Morgan, of the Twenty-fifth Indiana, was severely wounded in
      the leg very soon after his regiment became engaged. He was
      compelled reluctantly to retire from the field. The loss of his
      services was severely felt by both officers and men. *)

      Geddes (of whom Prentiss' OR dated 11/17/62 stated: *Upon Colonel
      J.L. Geddes, Eighth Iowa, the same praise can be partly bestowed. He
      and his regiment stood unflinchingly up to the work the entire
      portion of the day during which he acted under my orders. *)

      Reed (of whom McHenry's OR dated 4/?/62 stated: *During the terrible
      fire to which my regiment, together with your remnant of a brigade,
      was repeatedly subjected on the 7th, we were in close proximity to
      the Forty-fourth Indiana Regiment, Colonel H.B. Reed commanding,and
      I cannot refrain from expressing my admiration of the gallant
      conduct of that regiment, and the bravery, coolness, daring, and
      judgment, of its brae commander. * and Lauman's OR dated 4/9/62
      stated: *To Colonel Hugh B. Reed, of the Forty-fourth Indiana, I am
      under many obligations, not only for his great gallantry, but also
      for the valuable assistance he rendered me, after my personal staff
      was disabled, in conveying orders to the different parts of the
      command. * and Hurlbut's OR dated 4/12/62 stated: *His [Lauman's]
      report renders full justice to his officers, among whom Colonel
      Reed, of the Forty-fourth Indiana, was especially distinguished. *)

      For what were these men arrested? Are these incidents treated in
      any studies of the battle or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing this
      in either the general sources or in more obscure works.

      Thanks,
      Joseph
    • Tim Campbell
      Message 2 of 10 , May 31 10:12 PM

        "MacArthur, who came out with a very good reputation, I thought, from
        Shiloh"

            I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.

        >From: "josepharose" <josepharose@...>
        >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh
        >Date: Wed, 01 Jun 2005 02:11:59 -0000
        >
        >I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
        >that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
        >ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
        >officers:
        >
        >MacArthur, who
        came out with a very good reputation, I thought, from
        >Shiloh
        >
        >Chetlain, who was Grant's friend
        >
        >Morgan (of whom Veatch's OR dated 4/10/62 stated: *Lieutenant-
        >Colonel Morgan, of the Twenty-fifth Indiana, was severely wounded in
        >the leg very soon after his regiment became engaged. He was
        >compelled reluctantly to retire from the field. The loss of his
        >services was severely felt by both officers and men. *)
        >
        >Geddes (of whom Prentiss' OR dated 11/17/62 stated: *Upon Colonel
        >J.L. Geddes, Eighth Iowa, the same praise can be partly bestowed. He
        >and his regiment stood unflinchingly up to the work the entire
        >portion of the day during which he acted under my orders. *)
        >
        >Reed (of whom McHenry's OR dated 4/?/62 stated: *During the terrible
        >fire to which my regiment, together with
        your remnant of a brigade,
        >was repeatedly subjected on the 7th, we were in close proximity to
        >the Forty-fourth Indiana Regiment, Colonel H.B. Reed commanding,and
        >I cannot refrain from expressing my admiration of the gallant
        >conduct of that regiment, and the bravery, coolness, daring, and
        >judgment, of its brae commander. * and Lauman's OR dated 4/9/62
        >stated: *To Colonel Hugh B. Reed, of the Forty-fourth Indiana, I am
        >under many obligations, not only for his great gallantry, but also
        >for the valuable assistance he rendered me, after my personal staff
        >was disabled, in conveying orders to the different parts of the
        >command. * and Hurlbut's OR dated 4/12/62 stated: *His [Lauman's]
        >report renders full justice to his officers, among whom Colonel
        >Reed, of the Forty-fourth Indiana, was especially distinguished.
        *)

        >For what were these men arrested?  Are these incidents treated in
        >any studies of the battle or elsewhere?  I don't recall seeing this
        >in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
        >
        >Thanks,
        >Joseph
        >

        >------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~-->
        >What would our lives be like without music, dance, and theater?
        >Donate or volunteer in the arts today at Network for Good!
        >http://us.click.yahoo.com/pkgkPB/SOnJAA/Zx0JAA/GmiolB/TM
        from this group, send an email to:

      • DPowell334@AOL.COM
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
          In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time, jayhawker61@... writes:

          I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.

          Different McArthurs.

          John McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he led a division through much of the next year or so.

          Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame (and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.

          Dave Powell
        • Jfepperson@aol.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
            In a message dated 6/1/2005 1:17:13 A.M. Eastern Standard Time, jayhawker61@... writes:
            I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during the battle of Chattanooga.
            Different MacArthur...

            JFE
          • Tim Campbell
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005

              Thanks for clearing that up.

              >From: DPowell334@...
              >To: civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] Arrests at Shiloh
              >Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 07:21:24 EDT
              >
              >In a message dated 6/1/2005 12:17:12 AM Central Daylight Time,
              >jayhawker61@... writes:
              >
              > > I Think MacArthur came famous during the charge on Missionary Ridge during
              > > the battle of Chattanooga. If my memory is correct, he was one of the flag
              > > carriers that kept moving forward while the rest of the infantry stopped. I may
              > > be wrong but that is what I remember. Anyway interesting find to the
              > > addition to the history of the Battle of Shiloh.
              > >

              >Different McArthurs.
              >
              >John
              McArthur was the brigade commander at Shiloh. Originally a Scotsman, he
              >led a division through much of the next year or so.
              >
              >Arthur McArthur was the young Major from the 24th Wisconsin that won fame
              >(and a medol of honor, IIRC) leading his men up the slopes of Missionary Ridge.
              >
              >Dave Powell
            • William H Keene
              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                Joseph,

                I found a document online from the Mollus papers which refers to the McArthur and
                Chetlain arrests:
                http://suvcw.org/mollus/warpapers/ILv3p173.htm

                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...> wrote:
                > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                > officers:
                > For what were these men arrested? Are these incidents treated in
                > any studies of the battle or elsewhere? I don't recall seeing this
                > in either the general sources or in more obscure works.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > Joseph
              • civilwargroups
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                  wrote:
                  > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                  > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                  > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                  > officers:

                  These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                  release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                  wondering.
                • William H Keene
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups" <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                    > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
                    > wrote:
                    > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                    > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                    > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                    > > officers:
                    >
                    > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                    > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                    > wondering.

                    Correct.
                  • hank9174
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                      <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
                      > wrote:
                      > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which indicates
                      > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                      > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                      > > officers:
                      >
                      > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle. The
                      > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                      > wondering.

                      When was the order given? Actually during the battle on the 6th?

                      I'd be curious about any officers that were left under arrest, meaning
                      they were more useful off the field of battle than on it ;)

                      Officers under arrest are removed from the chain of command, relieved
                      of their sidearms and march with the provost, among other things...

                      HankC
                    • josepharose
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 1, 2005
                        <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
                        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "civilwargroups"
                        <civilwargroups@y...> wrote:
                        > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
                        <josepharose@y...>
                        > > wrote:
                        > > > I just read a note in Grant's Papers, Vol. 5 p. 19, which
                        indicates
                        > > > that Clark Lagow, of Grant's staff, on the first day of battle
                        > > > ordered the release from arrest of five generally well-reputed
                        > > > officers:
                        > >
                        > > These arrests would appear to have been made before the battle.
                        The
                        > > release was to free them to participate in the battle, no? Just
                        > > wondering.
                        >
                        > Correct.

                        Mr. Keene:

                        Thank you for the MOLLUS reference.

                        You are correct that this shows that the officers were released at
                        the start of the battle. The paragraph in the note I mentioned in
                        Grant's Papers starts with an order from Lagow issued "[u]nder the
                        pressure of battle" where he directed Major Cooke to "arrest every
                        Commissioned Officer that shows himself on the Levee near the
                        Steamers unless sick or wounded." The note later quotes Lagow's
                        order of release, seeming to imply that the two orders happened in
                        this order.

                        "Reminiscences Of A Surgeon" indicates that the order of release, at
                        least in Chetlain's and McArthur's case, came well after their
                        initial arrest.

                        Several officers were, IIRC, arrested that first day. Are there any
                        accounts as to who they were?

                        Joseph