BUCHEPHALUS

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 5 , May 30, 2005
      In the fall of 1864 Price made his final raid.
      He came marching out of Arkansas with his ragged eight brigades.
      With Shelby, Fagan, Marmaduke and the Swamp Fox, Thompson, too
      He thought he'd take St. Louis from the Union boys in blue.
      On his good grey horse, Bucephalus, Price led Missouri's sons
      Through Fredericktown to Pilot Knob and grim Fort Davidson.
      But there that devil, Ewing, made the rebel soldiers pay,
      And Price lost 1500 men before he rode away.
      Chorus
      So boys answer when we call; make our legions strong.
      Knights of the Golden Circle come and join the Rebel throng.
      We'll raise the banner high once more and give the rebel yell;
      Come follow us to victory or march with us through hell.

      Battered but not beaten Price was forced to change his plans,
      He turned west toward Jeff City thinking there he'd make his stand.
      But Pleasonton was after him, so Price kept moving on
      Through Boonville, Glasgow, Marshall and on up to Lexington.
      He marched toward Independence and he crossed the Little Blue,
      Outflanking Blunt and Jennison and Colonel Moonlight, too.
      But ahead of him was Curtis and behind was Pleasonton,
      And Price was now outnumbered by more than two to one.

      The days were turning colder and the trees were all aflame
      When the last fierce fatal battle just outside of Westport came.
      At Brush Creek and at Byram's Ford brave soldiers fought and died,
      But the Union's greater numbers finally turned the bloody tide.
      So Price limped south toward Texas and now all could sense the fate,
      Not only of Missouri but of all the Southern States.
      The war would soon be over, all the fighting would be done,
      And Lincoln's cause of liberty would finally be won.
    • keeno2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , May 30, 2005
        Thanks. I needed that.
      • oneplez
        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2005
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@a... wrote:
          > Thanks. I needed that.

          http://docsouth.unc.edu/aughey/aughey.html

          I had the charge of three churches--Poplar Creek and French Camp,
          in
          Choctaw county, and Nazareth, in Attala county. French Camp was
          twelve
          miles from my home, and Nazareth twenty-eight miles distant. Dr.
          Smith
          determined to come to French Camp on the Sabbath I preached in that
          church and kill me there. He ordered his fast trotter, Bucephalus, to
          be attached to the buggy, and preparing his pistols, he started in
          hot
          haste to effect his murderous purpose. He reached French Camp about
          one o'clock P.M. He learned that after the service I had gone to dine
          with Major Garrard.

          Don
        • Tony Gunter
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2005
            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@a... wrote:
            > > Thanks. I needed that.
            >

            > http://docsouth.unc.edu/aughey/aughey.html
            >
            > I had the charge of three churches--Poplar Creek and French Camp,
            > in
            > Choctaw county, and Nazareth, in Attala county. French Camp was
            > twelve
            > miles from my home, and Nazareth twenty-eight miles distant. Dr.
            > Smith
            > determined to come to French Camp on the Sabbath I preached in that
            > church and kill me there. He ordered his fast trotter, Bucephalus,
            > be attached to the buggy, and preparing his pistols, he started in
            > hot
            > haste to effect his murderous purpose. He reached French Camp about
            > one o'clock P.M. He learned that after the service I had gone to
            dine
            > with Major Garrard.

            From what I understand, the Nazareth Church was in Kosciusko just a
            few miles from my GGG-Grandfather's farm. Subsequent to the
            assasination attempt, Aughey then moved to the Spiva plantation on
            the banks of the Yockanookany, about 10 miles away from George
            Washington Gunter's farm.
          • Tony Gunter
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 1, 2005
              --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Gunter" <tony_gunter@y...>
              wrote:
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
              > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@a... wrote:
              > > > Thanks. I needed that.
              > >

              > > http://docsouth.unc.edu/aughey/aughey.html
              > >
              > > I had the charge of three churches--Poplar Creek and French
              Camp,
              > > in
              > > Choctaw county, and Nazareth, in Attala county. French Camp was
              > > twelve
              > > miles from my home, and Nazareth twenty-eight miles distant. Dr.
              > > Smith
              > > determined to come to French Camp on the Sabbath I preached in
              that
              > > church and kill me there. He ordered his fast trotter,
              Bucephalus,
              > > be attached to the buggy, and preparing his pistols, he started in
              > > hot
              > > haste to effect his murderous purpose. He reached French Camp
              about
              > > one o'clock P.M. He learned that after the service I had gone to
              > dine
              > > with Major Garrard.
              >
              > From what I understand, the Nazareth Church was in Kosciusko just a
              > few miles from my GGG-Grandfather's farm. Subsequent to the
              > assasination attempt, Aughey then moved to the Spiva plantation on
              > the banks of the Yockanookany, about 10 miles away from George
              > Washington Gunter's farm.

              Interesting... I was re-reading portions of Aughey's text yesterday
              and he writes of a "Captain Love" who delivered a pro-Union speech
              during debates in Kosciusko. I believe this is the Captain Love who
              commanded George Washington Gunter's company of Mississippi State
              troops that later were ordered by the Mississippi governor to merge
              with other state units and form the 5th Mississippi Cavalry. George
              Washington Gunter was a Freemason, I suspect Captain Love was also,
              and it appears that Reverend Aughey was a Freemason.

              When the vigilance committee hauls Aughey in for an ad hoc "trial"
              they specifically question him about his experience in phonography
              and his status as a Freemason. I'm curious if Aughey really was an
              abolitionist agent, peddling Unionism in the local Masonic Lodges in
              the area.

              During his flight north and subsequent travails, he moves amongst a
              secret society of unionists who share a set of secret greetings,
              signals, and handshakes. I'm curious to know if these people were
              associated with the Freemasons in any way.