Re: [civilwarwest] Horses

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 52 , May 29 3:25 PM
      In a message dated 5/29/2005 5:18:26 PM Central Daylight Time, DPowell334@... writes:

      The loss in horses at Gettysburg was somewhere near 5,000. I think at Chickamauga, the numbers were about 3,500. Most wounded animals were put down, especially with leg wounds, which would add a couple thousand more to those totals.

      Actually, bad memory at work here - the 5,000 at GB includes a rough estimate of wounded animals put down, I think...

      Dave
    • pvtjessett
      Message 52 of 52 , May 12 5:04 PM
        Bill Compliments Sir,

        I really hate to be so far behind ya'lls conversation but being a
        Engineer Tech. for a County up here in the U.P. during the week I do
        12s & 14s during our short construction season, so I have little time
        other than eat & sleep, I'll quit whineing- Boo-Hoo.
        Roderick, Forrests Horse, would follow him around camp like a dog, I
        believe hit with a round during battle at which time N.B stuck his
        finger in the wound to stem the bleeding and escaped after reaching
        safety removed the finger and the horse bled out and died. I believe
        there is even a poem wriiten of that steed. I believe his favorite
        was "King Phillip" the one that charged anything blue. I'll leave it
        at that because so many "myths" have come from that peculiar tendency.

        Paul

        -- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "endeavorgot" <banbruner@...>