Re: [civilwarwest] Re: [Conf Cannon Manufac]

  • Michael McKinnon
    Message 1 of 30 , May 10, 2005
      Hank,
      I believe you are correct on this.  I do believe wrought iron was used for the reinforcing bands on Parrotts and Brookes.

      Michael McKinnon
      Kennesaw

      hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

      The 3-inch ordance rifle was, IIRC, the only entirely wrought iron
      gun in the union army. It took a while to make but lasted forever.
      Due to the time and high degree of manufacturing savvy required, the
      piece was made exclusivley by the north...

      Layers of ferrous strips are hammer welded in a spiral weave around a
      core which is then rebored.

      The end product was then turned on a lathe and has absolutely no
      flaws on the exterior of the barrel.

      HankC

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...>

      http://mail.yahoo.com