Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery -- 32 pounders at Chatt

  • George Hall
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2005
      JEG: This reply makes great sense. Thanks for the input!
      Here's another quote from the same infantry Sgt. at Chattanooga. Maybe you and/or others can shed some light on these comments?::
            "Our 32 pounders hammered away at them all night, but for what reason I am unable to say. The enemy must have been making some move or they would not have shelled them so. I woke up several times during the night and every time I could hear an old "P____boom" -- and in about 15 seconds an old 32 pound shell would burst over in rebeldom about 4 miles off, but it could easily be heard here as the night was very still. The enemy did not reply to our pieces -- dare not if they ever felt so disposed, as our pieces should soon have rasied their "bacon" if they had let them know where their pieces were. There is no firing today....Old General Rosecrans has left us..."
         George Hall

      GnrlJEJohnston@... wrote:
      In a message dated 5/3/2005 8:37:08 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, preachergeorgewv@... writes:
      shot grape and canister (grape is fired 60 at a time, they are about as big as a small hen egg) [I ran] and canister is musket balls put up in cans as big as you put up fruit in (hold perhaps 200). And after we got close enough they let in on us with their rifles but no stop. On we went."
      Once again, the definition of terminolgy differs.  What the Sergeant calls "grape" is more like what we know today would be cannister.  As JFE states, his cannister relic is close to being the size of a golf ball, which would equate to a small hen egg.  What he describes as cannister, would in reality equate with case shot which were about the size of a marble, or musket ball.

      JEJ

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , May 3, 2005
        In a message dated 5/3/2005 10:54:27 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, preachergeorgewv@... writes:
        Here's another quote from the same infantry Sgt. at Chattanooga. Maybe you and/or others can shed some light on these comments?::
        Most 32 pounders were Sea Coast guns or naval chambered cannons with a 6.4 inch bore.  It is possible that the guns used at Chattanooga that your Sgt heard were 32 pdr Bronze Field Howitzers, Model 1844. (Sorry no pic on this one)

         Now it was common however, for seige and other heavy projectile uses, there were several 30 pdr Parrott rifles that were used such as the one shown below.

        There were Army, Confederate, and Naval versions of this gun.

        JEJ
        4.2-inch (30-pounder) Army Parrott rifle, Model of 1861 Nominal length: 126 inches. Rifling: 5-groove, right-hand twist. Weight: 4,200 pounds. Early versions had muzzle swell, later versions did not. Known survivors: 198