Sherman:Chickasaw Bayou::McPherson:Snake Creek Gap

  • Tony Gunter
    Message 1 of 8 , May 3, 2005
      Take a look at this (very crudely) marked-up photo taken from Fort Hill
      to see where Sherman's troops were sitting in front of Vicksburg during
      the Battle of Chickasaw Bayou, and tell me how this is much different
      than McPherson's situation in front of Resaca.

      http://tinyurl.com/c7lw8
    • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2005
        In a message dated 5/3/2005 3:29:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tony_gunter@... writes:
        http://tinyurl.com/c7lw8
        I got "Document not found" response from this URL Tony.

        JEJ
      • P. B. Jones
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2005
          Worked on this end earlier today.  I pulled up a color photo with red and blue ink markings.

          Pat

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3, 2005
            In a message dated 5/3/2005 7:14:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, patbartonekjones@... writes:
            Worked on this end earlier today.  I pulled up a color photo with red and blue ink markings.

            Pat
            It might be because I am on AOL (Always Openly Lost) rather than on Yahoo as you and Tony are./

              JEJ
          • P. B. Jones
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3, 2005
              OR...it might be that *at this moment* it's not working, Wayne.  Just re-checked it and I'm also getting the big, bad HTTP 404 Error.  :)

              Message 6 of 8 , May 3, 2005

                > In a message dated 5/3/2005 3:29:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
                > tony_gunter@y... writes:
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/c7lw8
                >

                > I got "Document not found" response from this URL Tony.
                >
                > JEJ

                TinyURL must be down. It's just a link pointing to a gawdawful url in
                our group's files section: _hr_mcnutt_from_fort.jpg or something like
                that. Go to the files for this section and take a look.

                Basically, Sherman was within a stone's throw of Vicksburg with a
                handful of regiments standing in the way of his four divisions. With
                powerful fortifications staring him in the face, no access to
                reconaissance of the troop strengths, and the sounds of trains arriving
                from the north, however, he launched a half-hearted effort at the
                strongest link in the Confederate chain and then withdrew saying "See!
                It can't be done."

                I think he made the right decision, but it was very similar to what he
                blamed McPherson for at Snake Creek Gap.
              • Bill Gower
                Message 7 of 8 , May 3, 2005

                  And if Sherman hadn’t wasted days making the attack then the Rebel defenses would have been very minimal and the number of troops facing him would have been almost.  From the time the fleet left for Chickasaw Bayou, time was wasted.  It was not necessary to destroy the Vicksburg RR.  It accomplished little.  It was not necessary to stop and burn homes along the way.  This was a screw up on the part of Sherman .  It could have been done.  The Union army could have been in Vicksburg in days of landing at Chickasaw Bayou if Sherman had moved faster.

                  Message 8 of 8 , May 3, 2005
                    --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Gower" <billgower@c...>
                    wrote:
                    > And if Sherman hadn't wasted days making the attack then the
                    > Rebel defenses would have been very minimal and the number of
                    > troops facing him would have been almost. From the time the
                    > fleet left for Chickasaw Bayou, time was wasted. It was not
                    > necessary to destroy the Vicksburg RR. It accomplished
                    > little. It was not necessary to stop and burn homes along
                    > the way. This was a screw up on the part of Sherman.

                    I think these complaints against Sherman have been overplayed.
                    Sherman didn't stop to burn houses or cut the RR, he sent detachments
                    which later caught up with the main body. He also didn't waste a lot
                    of time trying to move into position for the assault: the rebels were
                    waiting for him with infantry and artillery as he moved inland, and
                    he had to fight his way into position on the 27th and 28th, using
                    infantry to reconnoiter the Confederate positions across the bayou.
                    But if any reliable information had been available to him concerning
                    the fact that he was facing only a single brigade at most, he could
                    have launched a massive assault on a single rebel position
                    (Racetrack, Mound, Bridge, or Blake's Levee) that would have surely
                    carried that position. And if he hadn't been so demoralized by the
                    fact that the rebel defenses were so incredibly strong, he might have
                    put more energy into exploring the possibility of launching an
                    assault across McNutt Lake using pontoons.

                    Now, in Sherman's case, success would have led to catastrophic
                    results when Pemberton's entire army showed up. I think Sherman made
                    the right call to pack up and leave. But it seems a little
                    hypocritical to have Sherman criticizing McPherson for making
                    essentially the same judgement call.