Re: Union Artillery

  • Jeff
    Message 1 of 66 , May 3 8:58 AM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Donald Pontious
      <don.pontious@g...> wrote:
      > A 20 pdr is not a napoleon. A napoleon is a 12 pdr.

      Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
      style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
      Napolean was also a common gun on the field.

      Jeff

      > On 5/2/05, Jeff <jblake47@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > Your description of pre-war terms and tubes indicate that by the CW
      > > time many of these huge guns were rendered obsolete due to the fact
      > > that they were way to heavy in the field. I think Burnsides had a
      > > couple of 20# Napoleons at Antietam, but when one discusses the
      > > general makeup of the armament of the CW period, minor exceptions
      > > the rule are surely evident, but not in a manner sufficient to make
      > > any noticable impact on the warfare of the time.

    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3 6:41 PM
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.