Table of Fire

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      one piece of evidence, wayne, is such things as the table of fire from
      Hogg's book that I just uploaded into Photos. Canister is only
      mentioned in the text, but was used at such short range that a table
      was not needed, I guess. So this mentions solid shot, shell, case
      shot, canister, but not grape-shot . I am sure you are right that
      "never used" is not going to be the case... but the intent of grape
      was to have something for longer range and was used a lot before the
      invention of case shot and just plain old better fuses for shell, IMHO.

      > In a message dated 5/2/2005 4:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
      > carlw4514@y... writes:
      >
      > I have a private, unconfirmed theory that "grape" was truly almost
      > never used in the ACW...
      >

      > Carl,
      > It was not common, but it was used. I guess that might come into
      your
      > classification of almost never used, but the truth of the matter is
      that it was
      > used and thus cannot be discounted IMHO.
      >
      > JEJ
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.