Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      In a message dated 5/2/2005 4:33:40 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, carlw4514@... writes:
      I have a private, unconfirmed theory that "grape" was truly almost
      never used in the ACW...
      Carl,
      It was not common, but it was used.   I guess that might come into your classification of almost never used, but the truth of the matter is that it was used and thus cannot be discounted IMHO.

      JEJ
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.