Re: Union Artillery

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      I'll state here that the term "minnie ball" often confuses folks...
      present company excepted I'm sure.... not that you used that term,
      either... but my point is that we should be mindful that it was a
      conical shape

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff" <jblake47@y...> wrote:
      > Eyeballing a canister ball with a minnie I'd say it was about 1" in
      > diameter and the minnie a tad larger than 1/2" making the impact of
      > the canister 4 times that of a minnie.
      >
      > Jeff
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.