Re: Union Artillery

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      I have a private, unconfirmed theory that "grape" was truly almost
      never used in the ACW...

      Cased shot & spherical case shot are other terms for a Shrapnel round,
      and I do believe this was sometimes used.

      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, keeno2@a... wrote:
      > Read somewhere that cased shot was rarely used by land forces. It
      was either
      > shot, shell, or canister. Might have to take that back. The 1863 CS
      Ordnance
      > Manual specifies 20 spherical case rounds (out of 50) for a
      6-pounder, but only
      > 8 (out of 32) for a 12#. Understandably, the number goes back up to
      20 (out
      > of 39) for a 12# howitzer.
      >
      > And yes, 27 iron balls in canister would be much larger than a Minie
      ball.
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.