Re: Union Artillery

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      you may be correct, of course, but generally speaking the Austrian
      muskets were of .54 calibre [Lorenz M1854]... the Austrians wanted to
      replace them [with .58 cal. I assume] and jumped at the chance to sell
      them to the Americans so they could modernize. According to Hogg,
      226,000 were purchased, the next biggest foreign batch was Belgian,
      57,400 .... sold for the same motivation

      "Weapons of the Civil War" by Ian V. Hogg

      > the author did state
      > that the the caliber used was .69! Seems to me that I've read that
      > some earlier Austrian guns used were .69.
      >
      > Don
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.