Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      In a message dated 5/2/2005 11:05:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, shotgun@... writes:
      There was the story about the artillery at Antietam near the cornfield that
      had most of the battery men killed and they were just recruiting any
      infantry man that came by to help.
      This was the case also for Swet's Mississippi Battery at Tunnel Hill.  At the end of the battle against Corse's and Loomis's troops, the battery was commanded by a Corporal who was the only man of the battery that was still alive and being manned by infantry that were  Cleburne's Arkansawans.

      JEJ
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.