Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery

  • keeno2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2 9:53 AM
      Read somewhere that cased shot was rarely used by land forces. It was either shot, shell, or canister. Might have to take that back. The 1863 CS Ordnance Manual specifies 20 spherical case rounds (out of 50) for a 6-pounder, but only 8 (out of 32) for a 12#. Understandably, the number goes back up to 20 (out of 39) for a 12# howitzer.

      And yes, 27 iron balls in canister would be much larger than a Minie ball.
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3 6:41 PM
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.