Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      In a message dated 5/2/2005 10:05:52 AM Central Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:

      That sounds about right.  Of course mine are well rusted but they do
      approach the golf ball size.  My model 1812 is .69 caliber and there is no
      way this beauty is going to fit in that barrel.  .69 caliber sounds more
      like case shot than it does cannister.  In a 12 pdr case round there were
      about 78 balls in it.  In a 12 pdr cannister round there were 27 balls in
      it.  Either one would make a mess if it hit you :-)

      Cannister ranged up from .69. 27 ball round you are thinking of was 1.0 Caliber, or one inch in diameter, which is a very common cannister size. 1 Inch iron balls, as it were.

      Dave Powell
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.