Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Union Artillery

  • DPowell334@AOL.COM
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      .69 caliber was the size of the M1842 smoothbore ball. Typically, smoothbores were larger caliber than the rifles that replaced them. Euro smoothbores ranged from .69 to .72 Caliber, for example.

      Dave Powell
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.