Re: Union Artillery

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@c...>
      > > wrote:
      > > > Cannister is considerably larger than a musket ball. I'm not
      sure
      > > you could
      > > > really mistake someone being hit by cannister and someone being
      hit
      > > by a
      > > > musket ball. Looks to me like cannister would make a fair size
      > > cavity in a
      > > > person. Now, I can see that if someone was hit by case shot
      that
      > > What's the calibeer of the cannister?
      > >
      > > Don
      > >

      > Immediately after I posted, I remembered Google. An answer they
      > supplied is:
      >
      > Canister is .69 caliber (not calibeer, not to be confused with
      Corona!)

      > Don

      Here is a web site that details hunting deer with Mountain howitzers:

      http://www.buckstix.com/howitzer.htm

      Although this may not be politically correct, the author did state
      that the the caliber used was .69! Seems to me that I've read that
      some earlier Austrian guns used were .69.

      Don
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.