Re: Union Artillery

  • oneplez
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "oneplez" <oneplez@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dick Weeks" <shotgun@c...>
      > wrote:
      > > Cannister is considerably larger than a musket ball. I'm not sure
      > you could
      > > really mistake someone being hit by cannister and someone being hit
      > by a
      > > musket ball. Looks to me like cannister would make a fair size
      > cavity in a
      > > person. Now, I can see that if someone was hit by case shot that
      > What's the calibeer of the cannister?
      >
      > Don

      Immediately after I posted, I remembered Google. An answer they
      supplied is:

      Canister is .69 caliber (not calibeer, not to be confused with Corona!)

      Don
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3, 2005
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.