Re: Union Artillery

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 66 , May 2 6:05 AM
      I have long suspected the under-reporting is correct. For one thing,
      am I correct in thinking that to be hit by canister is to be hit with
      musket ball, and would not look different unless really peppered at
      close range? .... so to someone tallying statistics, it goes down as a
      KIA by musket ball.

      > Artillery, also a great noise but
      > somewhat less smoke simply because of the
      > concentration, issued forth canister that slaughtered
      > scores, great balls that sliced men and animals in
      > two, and generally did so much destruction for their
      > less-frequent fire that it was hard to comprehend the
      > totality of it all, thus it was often underreported.
    • Donald Pontious
      Message 66 of 66 , May 3 6:41 PM
        On 5/3/05, hank9174 <clarkc@...> wrote:

        > > Hmmm, that's strange, I always thought the term Napolean meant the
        > > style of gun, not it's caliber. I could have even bet that the 6#
        > > Napolean was also a common gun on the field.
        > >

        > The Napoleon style (stubby bronze tubes) did not scale well. A 12
        > pounder is an incredibly heavy load.
        >
        > There are 20-lb Parrotts, which are rifled, but no 20-lb Napoleons
        > which are smoothbores...
        >
        > HankC

        A Napoleon is a 12pdr, period, not a 6pdr or 20 pdr. The term "12pdr"
        refers to the weight of the solid shot that the smooth bore cannon
        used.