Re: Sherman's gross exaggerations

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 21 , Apr 27, 2005
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "The Coys" <thecoys@k...> wrote:
      > Joseph,
      > So how many were needed? It seems to me 200,000 was not to
      far off of a
      > guess. There was the Army of the Tennessee and the Army of the
      Cumberland.
      > How many Union soldiers were down in New Orleans? How about all
      those in
      > the Department of Ohio? And then there was the 9th, 11th, and
      12th
      > Corps....and then Colored troops would be required also. I know
      I'm leaving
      > some others out....200,000 might not be too far off.
      >
      > IMHO,
      > Kevin S. Coy

      Mr. Coy:

      The number of troops needed to win in the West is an interesting
      question, but it is not at issue here.

      The question is, what was *Sherman* referring to when he quoted such
      numbers as 3:1; 5:1; 45,000; 60,000, and 200,000?

      According to letters referred to by Marszalek, Sherman complained
      that he was outnumbered by 3:1 and 5:1. That was grossly untrue.

      Sherman, himself, wrote that the CSA had 45,000 men--which was far
      more than they actually had.

      The 200,000 was a reference to the number of men Sherman needed to
      push the CSA out of KY and to attack TN. Even if Sherman
      successfully fended off this exaggeration, he would still be
      convicted by the above two instances and . . .

      The 60,000 which Sherman stated he needed for defense was far more
      men than he needed to defend against an enemy whom Sherman already
      outnumbered with his 20,000 troops.

      Therefore, Sherman repeatedly exaggerated the Confederate threat and
      he asked for huge numbers of men--this was still 1861, remember--all
      of which if evidence sufficient to conclude that he lost his nerve
      and blundered badly. He made McClellan on the Peninsula look
      audacious.

      If it can thus be shown that Sherman truly had made such
      exaggerations, would you agree that he committed a major mistake?

      Joseph

      PS This blunder is only half of the problem; the second half is how
      he and his friends then lied about the need for those 200,000 men in
      order to evade reponsibility for the first half of the problem.